Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Cloud hosting and domains

Jump to solution

Hi!

I work at a university that is using the Canvas LMS. The current instance of Canvas uses cloud hosting via Instructure themselves (AWS, I reckon). Since we are using this solution, the url to our instance is something along the lines of <universityname>.instructure.com. This has proven to be a bit confusing for students since they are used to accessing university related content on url:s such as <universityname>.com/cool-endpoint.

Is there any way to make a cloud hosted version of Canvas into a subdomain of the university in some more or less virtual way or is self-hosting the only solution?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

csm =  customer success manager‌

Just like Adam we have a custom URL that our students use to access our instance of Canvas. The custom URL is called a vanity URL and does have cost associated with it, but if you contact your csm they can provide you with more information about getting a vanity URL setup for you institution. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Peter

We have Canvas as a hosted version (indeed it's on AWS), and it's accessed via a url that we've defined ourselves. It's been a couple of years now, but I believe you can arrange for this via your CSM.

Highlighted

CSM = Certified Software Manager? Haven't seen the abbreviation before Smiley Happy

Would be very interesting to pick the brain of someone who's been involved in it to find what the actual technical solution is. There doesn't happen to be someone at your organization Adam who could give a short summary?

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

csm =  customer success manager‌

Just like Adam we have a custom URL that our students use to access our instance of Canvas. The custom URL is called a vanity URL and does have cost associated with it, but if you contact your csm they can provide you with more information about getting a vanity URL setup for you institution. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu‌! (and thanks to a.craik@hull.ac.uk‌ as well :smileygrin:)
Gonna send an inquiry to our CSM right away and see what we can work out!

0 Kudos