cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

LTI 1.3 & LTI Advantage Documentation

Jump to solution

Is there any documentation about using LTI 1.3 / LTI Advantage with Canvas? There's a feature option to turn it on in our beta environment but beyond that it's not clear how to get started.

lti 1.3 #lti advantage

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
33 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I haven't heard anything official about 1.3 adoption.

There was a session at InstructureCon called Candy For Coders. They stated that 1.3 is not ready, they found issues with it and to keep using 1.1 for now. If it's in beta, it's probably to get input and test.

https://www.canvaslms.com/instructurecon/video/2018/?video=mun6emoc1u

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Hi! I participate in the LTI workgroup and we have been helping the community with early implementations around LTI 1.3 platform and tools adoption.

The paint is almost dry on the LTI 1.3 core spec,  and LMS platforms including Canvas have been implementing in parallel in anticipation of the spec being finalized.   There is a developer feature flag available in beta now, and I believe the Canvas team is working with IMS right now to run through the LTI 1.3 certification tests, which are in the process of being implemented as I type.  

Once the LTI 1.3 core spec is approved and released along with the cert tests, then the platforms can proceed with obtaining certification and rolling out support for 1.3 in their products.  And once platforms are ready with their side, then tools will be able to follow.   

I made a video here with an intro to LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage and we are working on a follow up video/blog post with more info - hoping to show examples of test tools using LTI 1.3 and the IMS reference implementation.  

Regards!  

Linda

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hello Linda, 

Thank you for this update it was very helpful, informative and easy to follow. 

I do have a question for the Canvas Team. As you mention above, the 'paint is almost dry on the LTI 1.3 core spec. Do you know when this might be ready and fully dry and ready for us to have access too?

Thanks 

Alice

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Alice - the Canvas team will have the most up to date info on their implementation and certification for sure, but the spec itself is currently in 'Candidate Final" status.  This means IMS members are able to review it and begin their implementations.   Once at least 2 platforms and 2 tools have been certified, the spec will be able to move to "Public Final" status.  There is an IMS quarterly meeting coming up at the beginning of February, so I anticipate more info could be available around that time. 

Highlighted

Greetings Linda and Canvas Community - 

We are attempting to test our tool in LTI 1.3/Advantage. We are on our Beta Canvas site that LTI 1.3 Advantage is in Development, not BETA - can you tell us how we can test out LTI 1.3 Advantage tool now. Or do we have to wait for the status of this tool to turn to Beta.  If we need to wait, can you all tell us when this will be turned on?

Thanks so much, 

Alice

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Alice - I think the Canvas team will be the best folks to help with the specifics here, but in our experience we have been able to test tools configured with LTI 1.3 using the beta environment.   Once the "LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage" flag is enabled, there is a way to configure the tool using the Developer Keys->+ Developer Key -> LTI Key screen.   Feel free to message me at lfeng@unicon.net if we can be of further assistance.    Thanks, Linda  

Highlighted

Thank you so much. Alice

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Linda has done a fabulous job answering questions in this thread. I'd "guestimate" we are still 4 - 6 weeks until we'll see the IMS specifications be final and published. If you haven't yet, you can also do preliminary app testing using the IMS reference implementation. Also, we still have work to do on our LTI Advantage support to gain parity with LTI v1.1. 

Currently, in the beta environment we support the core LTI 1.3 launch, Names and Roles Provisioning and the Assignment and Grades service. We support Deep Linking in the Rich Content Editor, but still have remaining work to support the other related placements in Canvas. We also currently support the course navigation placement. Additional items we are working on is moving the feature flag ability to production and re-evaluating the UI we have in place right now. We have a laundry list of feedback to consider from initial integration testing we completed recently.

Supplemental documentation to what IMS is releasing will come post release, but Linda did advise how to get to the tool configuration screen. At that point to configure the tool we are accepting a json formatted configuration similar to how we support XML configurations for LTI 1.1. 

Attached is an example of the json configuration.

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a JSON Schema for validating the configuration files that you could point me to? 

0 Kudos