cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanzi_teo
Community Participant

Discussions to be updated sychronously

With the discussion redesign, can we please ensure that the students and teachers do not need to click refresh to see the new posts / replies? These should show up automatically!

This has been raised before here by @mabrams & @stelpstra : https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Allow-Discussions-to-be-synchronous-with-quot-...

I didn't see this mentioned in this feature user group so I wanted to raise it here and hopefully get some attention so that we can have this as part of the upcoming release! With hybrid and sychronous lessons, the discussion features need to keep up with the pace of learning. 

6 Replies
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @hanzi_teo, our team is actively exploring this feature as we know it would provide great value. It's not a trivial feature to build. Once we better understand the technical effort we will be able to add it to a roadmap. 

wboswell
Community Participant

Oh, that should have been in the initial roll-out. 😬 It's an integral piece to interaction. 

d_j_corbin
Community Participant

I strongly agree!

johnmartin
Community Champion

It's in modern chat clients. I wonder if the idea of what a "discussion forum" needs to evolve to match current ways that students discuss online outside of Canvas? 

0 Kudos
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

That's exactly the train of thought we're exploring, "How does Canvas Discussions need to evolve?" Our goals are to modernize our approach, as well as, ensure we support the teaching/learning cycle. When Discussions was first built it was meant to facilitate asynchronous conversations. In today's world, communication tools are becoming more of a hybrid between synchronous and asynchronous conversations. I'd love to hear from you all on your specific use cases for synchronous features! 

Best, Katrina

@Katrina-Hess I'd love to chat with you about this! How do we connect?

0 Kudos