Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sallycharris
Community Member

@Mentions Notifications in Discussion Redesign

We just tested the new discussion redesign (Dec. 12, 2021), and neither students nor instructor received a notification of a mention or reply. We checked notification settings and tried it both subscribed and unsubscribed. It just didn't work. Are others having this problem with the redesign?

This is the only feature of the redesign that I needed, and it doesn't seem to work.

Labels (3)
3 Replies
alice_johnstone

I've also just tried to test this as a work-around for push notifications for discussions not working on ipad/iphone for me anymore... and no luck the @ mentions do not give me a notification (nothing by email or push). The only way I got a notification was having subscribed to a discussion - which is what was working prior to the update

QuynhTran

I am quite excited to know that you can @mention someone in the discussion/announcement, however, I have to say that I'm very disappointed that the notifications don't go out to the mentioned person. If it doesn't work, then I don't see the point of having it. We've been waiting for it for half a year now but there's still no fix for it. Could you fix this to make this wonderful tool work before releasing many new features then? 

mwolfenstein
Community Member

For this feature to work in a way that meets user expectations of how @mentioning works on other platforms, it needs to generate a notification including an email notification with a deep link that takes you directly to the part of the discussion where the mention took place. Ideally, users need to be able to respond to the @ mention from their email because again, that's the expectation based on other online platforms. If there is no deep linking to the part of the discussion where the mention happened, then the feature name is misleading in relation to user expectations. This is also currently the case with quoting since it doesn't work in any way like quoting does on other platforms.