Students can now create a new discussion in their group? Not ideal!

donnellyc
Community Explorer

Today I just discovered a couple students were able to create a new discussion forum within their groups.  This never happened before, and I need to be able to turn this setting off.

I have the class divided into several small groups to work on discussion questions.  I have a group discussion forum all set up for each group where they are to collaborate.  ALL of their correspondence related to the discussion question assignment is supposed to be in this forum, which had always been the case until today (8/27/2024).

Somehow, students can now apparently create new discussions for their group.  I have the setting turned off that should allow them to create their own discussions at the course level (click on Discussions, then the gear icon, and in the "Discussion Settings" box that appears, "Create discussion topics" is unchecked under Student Settings).  Yet, I've had two students today create their own forums (for the first time ever).

Has the Discussions redesign (a.k.a. downgrade) from summer 2024 affected this?  How do we turn off students' ability to create new discussion forums in their groups?  How difficult would it be for Canvas to allow us to revert back to the legacy Discussions (instead of forcing a fix on us for something that wasn't broken)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes