cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghalsell
Community Participant

Grade scheme display for category averages in gradebook

In several of my courses, I grade on a 4-point basis, but rather than going through the hassle of changing the grading scheme for each assignment, I simply make each one worth four points. However, the gradebook calculates the average for each grading category in terms of percentages. If I were to use the GPA Scale grading scheme (ideally, modified to omit pluses and minuses) on each assignment, would Canvas still show the average in terms of a percentage? Right now, a student who has an average of 2 appears to be failing, with an average grade of 50%, while in fact they actually have a C in the class.

5 Replies
jamely
Community Champion

One way to approach this is to change your Grading Scheme for the course (I think that is different than "Grading scheme for assignment that you refer to). You can remove all of those separate grade point grades, and add your own custom percentage breakdown, such as A = 100%, B = <100% to 75%, C = <75% to 50%, D = < 50% to 25%. I think this makes sense, although I may be misunderstanding your explanation.

ghalsell
Community Participant

Thanks for your replies. I'd forgotten about setting the grade scale in settings. The scale I ultimately used was A = 87.5-100%, B = 62.5-87.4%, C = 37.5-62.4%, and D = 12.5-37.4%. This is giving me the grades I want, but unfortunately, the grade reporting for each group as a whole is still shown as percentages. It would be great if those could be shown using the 4-point scale as well. For instance, I have a student who currently has a 2.66 average; Canvas correctly reports that he has a B, but it shows a percentage grade of 66.67%. At student seeing that percentage would think he/she has an F in the class rather than a C. Is this something I should propose as a votable item?

jamely
Community Champion

I don't know about adding it as a vote-able idea, my experience is that you have a fairly unique use case.

My best idea for you at this point is to use the "Name" field on the Grading Scheme. It show up in the right Total column for the student view, so if they have 66.67%, right now it should say 66.67% (B) in the student view, but you can add more information like  "B is passing" or something to that extent.

This idea could help you out a bit (for space to type into)

And this page from my course (currently looking for beta volunteers) Grading Scheme: Level Text: Experience Points for Canvas has a couple of screenshots to show you what it looks like.

kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Hi there,  @ghalsell !

I wanted to follow up on this question and see if you're still experiencing an issue. Based on the feedback that has been given and that this question is from over a year ago, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered." This won't prevent further dialogue in the event you're still experiencing an issue. We'd love to hear from you!

bblais
Community Member

4 years later, ran into this post, and I'm trying to do the same thing -- still shows as percentages (with the right letter grade) which is confusing I think.  I'd love to have a column with just the letter grade or better yet, as the OP said, posted in the 4-point scale.