cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltscal2
Community Contributor

Ideas for Faculty Development ? ie Canvas 2.0?

Anyone have ideas on faculty development after migration. We are a school who has been on Canvas for 3 years and its time faculty are looking for the next step.

It has been established that institutional programming doesnt always work but we are mandated to do so (promoting teach and learn as doing something etc) what can you do to get people to attend? whats kind of more complex and creative ways to use Canvas has worked?

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Maybe some higher level instructional design stuff? Similar to what's talked about in this discussion - Re: CanvasHacks Classroom? I know I've also started focusing on the pedagogy of teaching online using Canvas and that's been something teachers have been interested in. Basically - You know how to use Canvas, but how can you structure your course to improve learning?

DaleDrees
Community Champion

After migration we scaled back on our weekly trainings significantly and the faculty have the opportunity to go through our online Faculty Endorsement Course (asynchronous) or through our 6 week Faculty Online Certification course (synchronous). Now we are conducting Faculty Forums that are led by a faculty member on our campus (after hours and online – lots of adjuncts) on a certain best practice topic.  These are held once a month right now. We just became a Quality Matters school and will soon start training faculty on QM and reviewing courses. I think the key is collaboration between Online Learning and Faculty!

Dale

snugent
Community Champion

We struggle with this as well. Next year we are going to have a faculty academy so we can focus on these exact issues. At this point I don't know how successful this will be, but I will share the process as we go along.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

We struggle as well.  However, I am waiting for the new interface to roll out to have professional development.  I cannot get faculty members to come to trainings (even if offered on different days of the week).

snugent
Community Champion

I can relate. It is frustrating.  We are trying to address this by giving faculty some monetary incentives to attend.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Yes, I believe the changes have to be big or they will not participate.  Maybe monetary and food incentives are worth trying!  Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one!  Smiley Happy

cgaudreau
Community Participant

We've been rethinking not only our faculty development in relation to the new UI, but also our orientation course to online learning for students. I am very curious as to what other institutions may be doing to get existing faculty up to speed and introduce Canvas to new users.

It is tough to make all development opportunities exciting, but the right marketing and facilitation can make all the difference.

ltscal2
Community Contributor

Dale:

I was wondering if you could tell me more about the "Faculty Forums". Is this an online webinar or more of a modified Lunch N Learn.? Feel free to contact me by email if needed.

ltscal2
Community Contributor

Kylie & Susan:

Wow we all share the same sentiment! Like you we have tried offerings all over the map to try to accommodate all the different schedules of faculty across the 3 campuses that we have to serve and still no avail. Even coffee and goodies couldnt get them to come. They all want that one to one consultation!!!

Our institution have been experimenting with an internal InstCon type of showcasing. We had a very select number of faculty and staff do 12 minute presentations on something they did in canvas coupled with coffee and goodies. Our first two runs brought about 30-40 faculty, staff and support.

This coming fall we are going to try a #demofest to show case more Learning Technology/ Canvas related projects and also showcase our centre and services. These events have been by invite only -- only people who have been asked and want to be on the mail list (also compliance with CRTC legislation) and these types of people are the high tolerance, power users, innovators. So far it was worked out but see how long it will last Smiley Happy