Ability to uncheck Group Discussion box AFTER students posted for shells that have NO GROUPS

0 Likes
(3)
Problem statement:

Once students post to a Discussion for which the "Group Discussion" box is checked, instructors cannot uncheck that box, even for courses that HAVE NO GROUPS. When the "Group Discussion" box is checked and there are no groups, Speedgrader will not show only the posts written by a specific student. This problem arises when copying Discussions into new shells. All Discussion assignments that previously had the "This is a Group Discussion" box checked still have that box checked in the new shells, even when there are no groups in those new shells. In the past, I have used the Group Discussion setting to create Discussions that are divided into multiple sections of the same course. Our admin has disabled all combined Canvas shells, so I no longer have any Groups in any shells. However, the "Group Discussion" box remains checked in every new shell, and I have to manually uncheck it in every discussion in every course BEFORE any students post. If I forget, I am stuck recording discussion grades in printed rosters and it is exhausting.

Proposed solution:

Instructors should be able to uncheck the "Group Discussion" box for shells in which there are no groups both before AND AFTER students have posted. Alternatively, allow Speedgrader to show only the posts written by a specific student when: 1. The Groups Discussion box is checked and 2. No groups exist. Either of these would enable full Speedgrader functionality for grading Discussions.

User role(s):

instructor,ta

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

5 Comments
CindiKerns
Community Participant

Agreed. While this isn't a problem for a large group of faculty, when it happens it creates a snarled mess. There isn't much leeway during an 8-week course to sift through all the posts and replies and therefore students miss out on valuable feedback from their instructor. 

lshulman
Community Participant

Work around for now: just put all students in the SAME one group?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @lynn1 -

I found Assignment Group Setting Copy and Review/Check Settings Prompt as an Option - New Assignments, Discussions, + (toggle) that are both Open for conversation. I wonder if one of those would align with your request. If so, we'll merge this thread into the comments of the one you choose. If not, it's okay! Yours can open as a unique thread. I just want to make sure that if we have matching requests that the conversation can occur in one location. 🙂

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

I'm coming back to this idea! I hope you are well.

If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by November 17, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived