Add Student Notification Options for Catalog

0 Likes
(6)

We offer "self-paced" courses through Canvas Catalog.  This means that enrollment is continuous and the course is automated.  Every student has a different set of dates for their section, depending on when they enroll and what the time limit is for the listing.  Many of our students enroll in the course, but forget to complete it by the end date.  It would be so helpful if Catalog could be set to automatically send each student a notification a week or so before their end date.   It would say "Hello there, This is a friendly reminder that your time limit for the ___(name of listing) course will expire on ____ (end date).

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

laikas
Community Explorer

This would be amazing, we have the same issue and they often don't realize until they try to go into the course after the course has already expired. 

Katmasri
Community Novice

This feature would be very helpful for my course as well.  A simple reminder that the course is about to expire. This would be very helpful both the instructors and the students.  It's very disappointing to tell someone they have to pay and start the course all over again.

taevans
Community Explorer

This would be a very useful feature for our institution as well. 

christine_nich1
Community Explorer

This would be incredibly helpful!

WillyDonuts
Community Member

This is a great idea, and would love the ability to notify students that their certificate has expired(compliance).

kevinhitt
Community Participant

This would be a great addition for our students + our team internally. 

Canvas Announcements aren't setup to specifically handle these Catalog generated Sections, which all have unique start/end dates. 

I could see something similar to the Catalog "Listing Completion Email" that is automatically sent based on the # of days assigned at the point of registration (not necessarily based on the Canvas Section end date which is subject to change after registration) 

kevinhitt
Community Participant

It's also not easy to get creative with Canvas Announcements via external means, because the Canvas Announcements API only allows "GET". So you could not create a user/section specific Announcement via API call. 

Separately, the Canvas Announcements web interface also forces the creator to manually click each Section name in the "Post to" field, so even if you could get a list of user names/emails that are nearing the Section end date you would not be able to paste the values into the field. 

AndreaGraves1
Community Novice

I absolutely support and wish to have a "notification" for course participants to alert them when their time to take the course is almost up.  This would be an excellent and well used feature on Canvas.  

In my line of work we offer online trainings and certifications through Canvas for private industry.  This feature would help give a positive and more effective experience for my clients that come to Canvas for training.

DanielleLewis1
Community Member

Yes, this would be a great feature to add. We are in need of this as well have "open enrollment/rolling enrollment" for our self-paced courses as well!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.