cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow folders in Pages

Allow folders in Pages

Greetings all.
Conversations in the community unthread after 100 comments, making the conversation difficult to follow, and official comments hard to find. For this reason we're posting our most recent update here:

We know this is an important topic to many. We appreciate all of the use cases (pros/cons) that have been presented and the ideas for solutions. We are working toward a longer range strategy that we envision solving many of the struggles you've expressed here. We do not have an immediate solution. Stay plugged into the Canvas Ideas space to watch this strategy unfold (beginning with Assignments 2.0)

The Files section of Canvas allows folders for organizing files. Pages does not. Why the awful inconsistency in the user interface? I currently have 30+ pages that I've created in - all in flat directory structure. I'd like to be able to organize them, you know, like Files and stuff I have on my computer.
(18)
361 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

208845_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

Community Member

Thank you for resubmitting this idea!

Surveyor

I agree completely!   I too have dozens of pages that need a secondary organizational structure.  Please??

Community Member

This is much needed!

Surveyor

So I see that 3 people have downvoted this idea. I'm curious/puzzled as to why. If the ability to create folders within Pages existed, you could choose not to make any folders and still have the current set-up. Why would you not want anyone else to have the ability to create folders?

Community Coach
Community Coach

I voted down Beck, and primarily because Modules are my folders for organizing pages and the only one I need since I don't give students access to Pages. Also because folders are not particularly accessible for students using screen-reader tech, and folders lead to subfolders, leading to sub-subfolders ad infinum, and that isn't good for anybody.

KLM

Community Member

Boo!  I agree with Beck--if you have a different organization system you can still use it.  Why vote down something that will help those of us who use Canvas differently?

Surveyor

Thanks for replying, Kelley! I don't give students access to Pages either - the folder organization if for my benefit! I was not aware of the issue with screen readers - thanks for pointing that out.

However, I have to disagree that a folder hierarchy is bad - I use folder hierarchies extensively on my desktop computer to keep materials organized (and archived) both across the classes I teach and within each class and it would be impossible for me to find anything if I did not.

Community Member

The lack of folders, tagging, searching, etc. makes Canvas Pages useless for serious content management. Folders would be a big improvement, especially if that folder system could provide some navigation help (currently nonexistent). The lack of such options compared to the Files area is very strange.

By way of comparison, PBWorks (widely used by educators; it offers a free educational version) has a handy system where you can organize pages by folders and subfolders, and it then creates a navigational system based on those folders and subfolders. That might be something to look at as a model, especially given PBWorks' popularity with educators. I use PBWorks to house the assignment instructions and support materials for my classes; you can see the folder structure in the "navigator" sidebar item on the right in the screenshot below. 

http://onlinecourselady.pbworks.com/ 

I should note also that PBWorks, unlike Canvas Pages, trusts page authors to insert javascript widgets. I use a javascript on the homepage to feature a student project at random each time the page loads. 🙂

PBWorks screenshot showing folder navigator

Community Member

For those of us who don't use Modules (which presupposes a linear content presentation model; does not apply to all content), that Modules solution is not very congenial. So, rather than assuming that everybody will / should organize their Pages in Modules, those of us who are taking a different approach to content need a better Pages space. 

Just speaking for myself, I'm finding it incredibly frustrating to develop pages in the Canvas spaces I'm using for support materials: Widget Warehouse and Twitter4Canvas. In particular, having to add a separate Redirect app for every darn navigation item OR having to maintain a totally manual navigation system is driving me crazy. Those of us who take Pages seriously as a content development space need some help! The tools should be at least as good as in the Files area IMO. See my comment below about folders for navigation.