Assign students to groups as they enroll in the class

(1)

I understand, during the first week of add/drop as students are adding a course, Canvas will not automatically randomly assign them to a group. The system requires the instructor enter and activate the feature again. 

". ,, students are not being automatically added to Student Groups after the 'Randomly Assign Students' button was pressed prior to their enrollment. This is working as intended, newly added students will not be automatically added to the Student Groups as that setting only affects current enrollments for students listed on the left panel and not yet in groups at the time it is pressed. You would need to press this button again if new enrollments are being added to the course."

I would like the system to randomly assign students as they enter the class so they can begin the assignment promptly. 

2 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted!  @pagibson  I really appreciate your bringing up that there's a gap for randomly assigning students to groups during a time period when course enrollment changes are happening. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.