cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Grading

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Automatic Grading

As an instructor, I have students post discussion questions and responses each week. If they posted something, they get the points. However, there is no way to automatically grade these-- I have to manually grade each post... Please consider making an automatic grading system, so that the points show up in their gradebook as soon as they have posted. You will make a lot of instructors very happy... we rely on this type of assignment. 

Thanks!  

3 Comments
Community Member

Finding out that Canvas lacked this essential feature was a real blow to those of us who teach/design classes for 4,000 students. I'm surprised this feature isn't available and even more surprised that it isn't getting voted. 

Wouldn't it be great for your introduction posts to just give students credit and not have to assess them? Typing in a grade for 4,000 students take a fair amount of mind-numbing work. 

Community Member

Thanks for the vote, Michael! I did make it kind of work eventually by selecting the "select default grade" option in the grade book for that assignment. You just have to go back and edit the grade for those who did not post, as it auto assigned to everyone, but maybe it's at least a bit better than editing for each person who posted. But yes, would definitely need to be changed-- seems like such a simple change to make. 

Community Member

That works for a synchronous class, but for a class of 4,000 where several students will all start and finish at different times, it becomes a nightmare to grade. This was a basic feature of Blackboard. It's really unfortunate that they didn't add that extra checkbox.