Batch add rubric to assignment group

0 Likes
(12)

It would be great if we could batch add a rubric to an assignment group. Right now, you have to add individual rubrics to individual assignments.

For example, suppose students are required to do 5 presentations throughout the course of the semester. I now have 5 assignments listed in the "Presentations" group. If I am using the same rubric for all presentation, instead of manually adding in the rubric to each assignment, I could just attach the rubric to that assignment group and that would automatically apply the rubric to all the assignments in that particular group.

Alternatively, another option would be to be able to select multiple assignments (regardless of the group they are in) and simply batch apply one rubric to them.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

cameron_mccormi
Community Member

I agree. I have standard rubric that I used for many assignments. When I tweak the rubric, it takes forever to reassign the new version to existing assignments.

ShadEsplin
Community Novice

The ability to add the same rubric to an assignment group in canvas, instead of individually adding a rubric to every single assignment that has the same grading format. 

djvill2
Community Explorer

This is an essential feature to add. 

ElanaReiser
Community Novice

I would appreciate this feature very much

rhayes
Community Novice

I use a standard rubric across multiple assignments also. I have to "find rubric" and scroll through a SUPER long list of courses to try to find the rubric I already created and want to use again. Then I have to click the pencil, then a pop up says you can't modify this rubric because it is used and I have to click ok, then I have to click use for grading. That is a whole darn lot of clicks just to add a rubric I have already created.

MichaelDufresne
Community Member

As @rhayes stated, finding the rubrics in the entire history of courses with the same name is hard (they aren't searchable or clearly identifiable). Having to "modify" a rubric to use it for an additional assignment only creates more rubrics (1).

We need to be able to save our most recent and relevant rubrics into the Rubrics navigation tab and apply them from the Rubrics tab to the specific section's assignments, either as a batch add to all of a type or by individually selecting assignments. Attaching from every individual assignment/discussion/quiz requires scrolling for the elusive section and then identifying the most current version. Even if something like the My Media searchability and share function were added to Rubrics, we would be in better shape.

@James at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Instructional-Designer/Sorting-the-Find-a-Rubric-dialog/ba... shares a browser add-on that simplifies sorting of sections and rubrics, but the programming is beyond my ability and authority (employer-owned computer).

MichaelDufresne
Community Member

The Rubrics tab shows only those rubrics already used in the course section. They can be edited or deleted only, which impacts the assignments for which they were already used. There is no option to add existing rubrics to new assignments. Further, from the individual assignment/discussion pages, the current shell and any newly created or modified rubrics created in this section are not listed, even though they are visible in the Rubrics tab. This makes this entire tab pretty useless. Suggestions:

• Add an "Apply" option to allow users to apply rubrics to selected assignments.
  • Add a "Search" option that uses keywords, tags, or titles to identify rubrics from all prior courses (as in My Media).
  • In the assignments' "Add rubric" option, make each section individually identifiable, with sections listed in reverse chronological order. Have the current section shell be clearly marked at the top of the list. Expand the window and enhance scroll bars to facilitate digging through the options.
  • Allow reuse of rubrics within a section without creating separately labeled but otherwise identical rubrics.

sis235
Community Member

Agree. Would definitely be helpful.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.