Canvas Commons should behave like Blueprints when updating content to a Canvas course

0 Likes
(11)

Changed the update behavior of Shared Commons to behave like Blueprints.

Updating a Shared Commons today creates copy's of the files in the courses that are using the Shared Commons. This results in the files root gets cluttered and users will see a lot of unused files, the user experience becomes bad.

The data consistency will also be affected as courses will have different versions of the files with different names depending on when they actually update the Shared Commons packaged for the specific course. This means that in one course the latest file can be named DemoDoc-4.docx and in another it can be named DemoDoc-1.docx but the files are actually the same.

I do not understand why you want to implement two different solution that are basically doing the same thing but in different ways, i do not see the benefit of this. Blueprints is the more logic solution here and the same ability's should be re-used on the Shared Commons to create a better overall handling of files and user experience.

When updating a Blueprint you do not have the issue of creating duplicates of the files, resulting into multiple files visible on the files structure.
When uploading a new file you are asked if you want to overwrite that file or create a new, the default behavior is to overwrite if using the API.

Explanation of the behavior of Shared Commons below. 

I have used Blueprints before and the default behavior is when I upload a new version of file it overwrites the file with the same filename, I then sync the courses that needs the file and the file is overwritten in the courses with the updated version.

But when using a module from a Shared Commons this is not the behavior, instead it actually creates new files in the course root files folder each time you update the Shared Commons modules.

So each time I updated a Shared Commons to a course it will generate new files in the course files root folder. I excepted it to behave like the blueprint sync where it overwrites the files with the same file name instead of adding copy's each time.

Image below shows what the Shared Commons module contains.

JimmyW_0-1618469308063.png

Files in the Shared Commons module

Image below shows a course root files after the Shared Commons module have been updated.

JimmyW_1-1618469308692.png

Instead of overwriting the files it adds a copy with the added numbers -1, next time i update a file in teh Shared Commons modules the course will get a file named -2 and so on.

Image shows second time I updated the Shared Commons module. Displays the root files in a course that uses the Shared Commons module. Now displaying -2 in file names and keeping files -1 and original file.

JimmyW_2-1618469308415.png

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

MrAdam
Community Explorer

+1 on this. Data consistency is crucial hence inconsistent behavior between Commons and Blueprints is worrying. I could also wish for a more robust file management features and documentation to ensure we can build sustainable integrations into Canvas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

AdriëneGeurts
Community Member

in addition you also would like to have the option to not remove the submissionsdates already entered in the copy of the source.
Perhaps the option as with copying a Canvas course, to select what you want to use from the update, instead of the option all or nothing

PeteBerkhout
Community Member

Get this done

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.