Create a MISSING designation that ports to SIS (like Skyward)

(1)

Our high school tracks missing assignments (separate from zeroes) automatically from our student information system (SIS) in order to provide remediation opportunities in our remediation/enrichment period.

If I could designate an assignment as MISSING in addition to the zero, and that designation would port to our SIS (Skyward, in our case), I wouldn't have the frustration of going back into the SIS, trying to spot the 0s that were missing, and checking off the designation independently on each assignment.

11 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi

Just so I'm clear at your institution I could turn in an assignment earn zero points but if I don't turn it in at all, my assignment is designated as "missing" after the due date?  Its that correct?

Thanks,

drmilks
Community Novice

Exactly. Many high schools that allow revision opportunities (two in my own limited career) use this designation. It disappears as soon as a grade is entered and can be manually unchecked if the score is still zero.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this feature idea and for the additional clarification! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016. Smiley Wink

Also, if you haven't joined already, you might be interested in being a part of the Grade Pass Back​ group where updates and discussions about Skyward are occurring.

sroberts2
Community Novice

yes! this would prove to be most helpful.  I also would like to see the designation of Absent for assignments.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

molse
Community Explorer

This would be great and would mirror the designation available in PowerSchool.

megan_williams
Community Explorer

In general more designations are needed for HS.  "-" can mean two things: assignment not done or teacher hasn't entered a grade yet.  I need to be able to distinguish between "Absent" - forget it, I'm not collecting it, "Missing" - it is late, but it is still a required assignment and "Excused" - I'm not collecting/grading it, you are still responsible for the work.  I'd personally like a "medical", but this might run afoul of privacy rules.

cneill
Community Novice

As a resource teacher, trying to get students to complete missing assignments, it would be a great help.  When I open skyward to be able to see missing work, it is much easier to get students to work.  Zeros do not help when, typically zeros cannot be resubmitted and are not easily found without going through each class individually.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

corushm
Community Novice

I am very frustrated that the LATE will sync to Powerschool but not MISSING.  My students need to know that MISSING means you can still turn in.  When I sync to my grading system, it shows up as a zero but I allow late grades.  Why can't both sync?  If you can sync LATE and EXCUSED, then why not MISSING.  Please change this!  Smiley Happy

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.