Creating a Conference for a Single Section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-09-15).

In a course consisting of multiple sections, it would be very useful to be able to create a Conference for a single section, similar to creating an assignment.

38 Comments
nalboukrek
Community Explorer

YES!!!  Big need for that!

ssherlow
Community Novice

Yes please! I will be using this to teach 5 sections of the same course remotely now, and I need to meet with one section at a time.

aaron_bunt
Community Novice

Please, managing high school class without restricting to sections or going through and ticking a student at a time is crazy!

mccmau
Community Novice

Please make this an option.  I have just start using Canvas with my courses synced.  It seems to be good except for if I want to conference with individual sections it is a hassle.  It would be very convenient to be able to choose a section to conference with.

f_g_bouwman
Community Participant

Very good and welcome idea in these times. Of course, next to sections, it would be good to be able to select students for a Conference based on Groups. Please add that to the idea.

kimberly_rice2
Community Novice

It would be very helpful to have the ability to create a conference for a particular grade or block similar to when sending an announcement you can select which section to send to.  Clicking on individual names out of a list of hundreds of students is very time consuming!

bciminelli
Community Novice

This would be incredibly helpful during distance learning. I have multiple sections and students are getting confused as to when they should be showing up for their class. Thanks!

jknowlton
Community Member
Status changed to: Open

Community Novice

Today called Canvas support to cross list my courses. As  the agent started to assist me through the process, a colleague texted me to inform me that when courses are cross listed I could not have BBB conferences. Therefore I had to uncross list my courses and work with them individually. So sad that we are not able to do both. It is a downside of Canvas.

I also would like for grades from Canvas automatically be reflected on Skyward without the teacher having to go from one program to the next. These should be synced.

I love Canvas and trust that more improvements are forthcoming.

lynne_cohen
Community Member

I support this idea whole-heartedly.  During distance learning, creating an unlimited-time class creates some problems; instead, I have to create a new conference for each period.  Students receive multiple emails about invitations each day.