HTML video in Canvas

The new video function is great! (HTML-video). However it takes a while from clicking "Save" until the operation is done. And the pupils get no indication that it is processing. They are therefore likely to start over again.
I recorded a video lasting for 45 sec. and it took 10 sec. to process after clicking save. Too long. We need a shorter processing time, or please just put in "Your film is converting/saving/processing" etc. to make it more understandable.

Best, Ståle

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stale_heggset ‌, have you asked Canvas Support to have a look at this? And if you have, would you please provide the case number? We'll move this idea into Moderating status for the moment as we look forward to your response. Thanks.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Yes, case number 03828802

I got this answer: 
Hi Ståle 

Thank you for contacting Canvas Support! I am happy to help! I see that its a bit unclear when users are using the option to record a video on Canvas.
unfortunately that at the moment is not a feature on Canvas. This would be a great feature however! I suggest you add this to our feature requests page in our community, to get it implemented into Canvas. Here is a link to our feature request page: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14903-75187841183

If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call as we are open 24/7! 

Warm Regards,

XXX

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @stale_heggset ; it's helpful to know that this has already gone through the support process. We've reopened this idea for voting.

lybberte
Community Member

Yeah, this is terribly frustrating! I am trying to save my video in Firefox and Chrome, but it appears like the button is not even working. Every once in a while one of my videos will post, but others I have left there for quite some time with no results. All of my videos so far have been between 2-3 minutes ...

Are there any tips for the current version of this HTML video feature? Can I just press save and navigate away from the page? Can I just open a new tab and start recording the next video?

Is this video actually being recorded on my personal computer and then being uploaded to Canvas, or is the video somehow being capture on the server side?

dschuma
Community Participant

BGSU is experiencing the same performance with the HTML5 recorder.

cole_mcfarren1
Community Novice

Hello, Eric!  We have been having the same issue reported from many of our faculty.  It's really disappointing as we ran a big campaign last year to try and encourage faculty video presence, only to have this update hinder it.  When I have submitted tickets on it, we have gotten responses that there isn't an issue or it's bandwidth on our end.  Even with a decent connection, it takes me upwards of 10 minutes to have a 1-2 minute video upload on a good day.

Something I have been able to do is have one tab open, record a video, then click save and just leave it alone for awhile.  The issue is it doesn't do a great job of telling you anything is going on.  If you are using Chrome, though, and click from one tab back to another, it will briefly flash the percentage of upload in the corner.  I've been able to work in other tabs while this is going on then come back once it finally populates.  Most of our faculty have already opted for third-party products as a workaround.

lybberte
Community Member

I also found that opening two tabs was helpful. The problem is that if one of these videos for some reason doesn't upload it means I have to record it again. This is not something I like to gable with.

olsona
Community Participant
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived