Immersive Reader in New Quizzes

(53)

The immersive reader is a powerful tool to equal the playing field for ELD and ESL students.  It is awesome on pages but sad that it is not available in new quizzes.  I would recommend adding this.

Comments from Instructure

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. We hope you'll take a moment to read the update from the product manager.

42 Comments
MorganFritz
Community Member

Please create an audio option for quizzes so that questions/answers can be read aloud to students who benefit from that. This would greatly benefit our SPED kids. It would be useful to have that on all assignments as an option too. 

MorganFritz
Community Member

Even if you just enable Canvas to allow audio recordings only with studio instead of having to capture the whole screen then  we could use that to embed questions being read aloud.

egoodman1
Community Novice

Great comments from everyone about the need for this type of tool.  If anyone has recommendations for "readers" that are working well for you I'd appreciate that.

Also, while I may have missed it, I didn't see a response from Canvas or a Canvasador about this request that started almost a year ago...I'm wondering is there anything on the roadmap or plans related to this?

Thanks

jiduggan
Community Novice

We need enhancements to level the playing field for our English Language Learners to be able to use your platform. Otherwise, we would have to seek a different platform.

CarlaD07
Community Explorer

Agree! This is a must to ensure equal access for all of our learners. Right now we too have the same problem of learners being hesitant to go out to have the New Quiz read aloud. An additional issue is teachers often have the "Shuffle Question Order" turned on so a teacher taking out a group of 5 learners to read aloud to them quickly discovers that the questions are in a different order so they cannot effectively read to the entire group. 

In addition, if teachers are using Item Banks and pulling random questions, then students have unique quiz questions, which is great, but without the ability to have the questions automatically read to them, this creates a nightmare situation for support staff trying to provide the read aloud accommodation to students. 

CATHERINEHEVERL
Community Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add Immersive Reader to Quizzes.  It frees up staff to actually provide support to more ESE and ELL students rather than spending 45 minutes with one student reading a test.   Furthermore, it provides more independence and less stigma because students aren't being pulled from their classes.   

MathewThatcher
Community Novice

This is an extremely useful too guys. I highly recommend implementing this. The immersive reader is quite literally what is getting me though the content, but as the quizzes don't have this feature, I'm unable to obtain a similar user experience.

alisha_johnson
Community Explorer

Immersive reader is a wonderful tool and a great addition as a basic part of the Canvas platform.

I do understand why it does not work with quizzes. Immersive reader strips text on a page and overlays the "Immersive Reader" platform with just the text and built in tools. There is not a way to continue to engage with the native site. You are either immersed in just the text or interacting with the site. That won't work for a quiz or any site that requires input from the user. 

What we need is something that allows a user to highlight and have text read. Of course there are several commercial options. I do not know if any would work with a lockdown browser so something native in Canvas makes the most sense.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. We hope you'll take a moment to read the update from the product manager.

DeboraMartin
Community Member

We need a simple way to offer read-aloud accommodations to New Quizzes within Canvas. As a special education teacher, many of my students in the general education setting qualify for this accommodation. It would be great if there was an option to add this when we moderate our tests. 

KathrynGarvey
Community Member

I have read a lot of similar comments for this request. I would love to give the option of immersive reader on quizzes and assignments. This is beneficial to the lower levels and ELL students. I would like to see if there is a way to control sections of the quiz or assignment for immersive reader. For example, a passage will not be read aloud but the questions will be *teacher controlling the portions which can be read aloud*. As it stands when my teammates or I (Second Grade) create a question, we have to add a media recording of our voice above each question so they can receive read aloud. Adding the immersive reader to quizzes and assignments would be a huge time saver. 

Thank you!

ADProfenno
Community Member

Allow immersive reader to read quiz directions, questions, response choices to students.

leigh_buckley
Community Novice

It's very frustrating that quizzes can't be read aloud to students. This prevents students from completing quizzes independently.  Read aloud is a basic accommodation, it should be a top priority to offer this access.  The technology is widely available, it's even a feature on state standardized tests.

todd_ghormley
Community Explorer

I would love to see this feature brought to the new quizzes.

austinkd
Community Member

I understand the product managers are discussing the implications of adding Immersive Reader to quizzes; i.e., test integrity and security.  The following is a suggestion from a teacher:   

Canvas should make it a setting that the teacher can select for students individually or for the whole class. That way if someone is concerned about the test integrity, they can turn it on or off. 

lbingham1
Community Novice

Immersive reader is needed in quizzes more than anywhere else. We are required to do read-alouds for so many students, so this a feature that would really help teachers meet IEP's. 

jeffbailey
Community Explorer

We currently record the questions and options for quizzes.  It is nice to be able to add this media in the question are, but it would be nicer to have a place for teachers to record this information so it didn't show up in the question, but could rather be accessed by a student who pressed a button, such as "I'd like this question read to me."  This would clean up the interface.  

Also would like to see the recording media option be smaller so that recording the questions would not require a printed copy of the questions to read off or having multiple monitors.

wineal
Community Member

Accessibility for all students means that those with read-aloud or text read to them should have a way to access quiz questions and answers.  The work around is currently for me to find software to record an audio and then save and upload that audio into the quiz question.  This also means that I can not shuffle the answer choices on multiple choice quizzes and drop-down choices are also not practical.

Why are quizzes not included in the immersive reader functions?

AtSea
Community Participant

We definitely need Immersive Reader across quizzes.  Would be amazing if it worked with SCORM files as well!  

We have ESL learners and they would benefit from converting the quiz language so that it's more understandable to them.  I understand this is more complex, but even just reading it out loud in english would be beneficial for them.

Please add this feature.

kbarclay
Community Participant

I'll add my voice to the choir and request Immersive Reader to be useable in all areas of Canvas include Quizzes, Discussions, Assignments.- thank you!