cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

(219)
With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

371 Comments
ashlei_snead
Surveyor

This would be fantastic for the online discussions. Several students have complained they missed the second due date because it is not listed on CANVAS. It helps keep students accountable.

baldwinsh
Surveyor II

I like cms_hickss's idea!

My department requires that students create an initial post by Wednesday and have responses posted by Saturday.  Since we can (currently) only have one due date, we chose Saturday, but this creates confusion for students (even though the instructions tell them what to do and the rubric shows them that this part is due by this date and the other part is by this other date), students really only pay attention to that final due date.  Breaking it up as described by cms_hickss or allowing two different due dates would be a lifesaver for both instructors and students!  Better yet!  Having two due dates would allow both parts to show on students' calendars!  Please consider this adjustment for discussion boards!!!!!

annoyedteacher
Surveyor

1745 entries on this one relatively simple adjustment that would save all teachers time. I get the feeling that the people that design this platform are not teachers nor do they pay attention. This thread has been in existence for five years now, and nothing has been done. Can't wait to explore other platforms that are actually responsive to the needs of teachers when this contract comes up for renewal.

irene_omara
Surveyor

Does anyone have any further updates on this? We are starting a new year and new semester here, with even more emphasis on Blended Learning and engagement online.

How far down the list is this issue in terms of development?

aimee_garten1
Surveyor II

Any updates to this suggestion? I'm still desperate for it.

kengland2
Surveyor

YES PLEASE! 

@cms_hickss This is exactly how I would use it!

ewelc05s
Learner

The use cases for this feature are plentiful at my university. Intermediate due dates for initial posts and replies and group writing workshop draft and feedback deadlines are the two most at the front of my mind right now. Canvas design encourages students to use the calendar feature/To-Do List to track their work. Having two due dates for discussion topics would allow those due dates to automatically be added and linked from the to-do list. It would encourage STUDENT SUCCESS without putting an extra burden on instructors to find a workaround/secondary step to make sure the initial deadline/post date is included in those student-friendly features.

Mine is the 287th post on this topic.

AshleeBalena
Surveyor

I would like to request multiple due dates for assignments.

karissa-peyer
Surveyor

Yes Yes Yes! This is SO needed and clearly has been needed for years. I add "events" to my course calendar to remind students (plus announcements and syllabus info) but they still miss it if it is not on their to-do list.

mwolfenstein
Explorer III

As I've been discussing this feature with colleagues at my campus, it actually became evident that this would actually be a useful feature for assignments in general, specifically for peer review. I recognize that would likely expand the scope of the feature but I wanted to know what others think about that. This feature idea is related: multiple due dates for a single assignment and same student in that a broader multiple due dates feature might encompass it.

lindalee_massou
Surveyor

Have we been having this conversation since 2015 and there is no resolution yet? 

Not to be rude, but isn't 4 years and 29 pages of comments plenty for Canvas to decide to DO something about it? 

Does anyone have a viable workaround

I am currently having after-grading submissions send me an email with a short subject line only ( a "code of section and disc bd name" and then I update by hand. I sure don't like THAT solution, although it is working). 

I know there is also a 2 due date option, but then I have to grade the whole discussion board TWICE. And I'm supposed to do that with how many sections of how many boards with how many students??!!  I don't thinks o! hahaha

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

StephRowe
Surveyor

I see that this a popular topic for people to comment on. I would so love this feature as I require two due dates with each discussion and having Canvas limit us to just one due date is very confusing to students. I do hope that this feature is enabled soon!! 

studyvs
Surveyor II

I’m adding a comment to get more visibility on this suggestion. I would add, it would be ideal to have some settings to control the ability to post and reply. Meaning, include a setting that allows students to post initially before a specific date. And then a different setting to allow students to post between specific dates to post replies. I hope that makes sense.

david_christia1
Learner

There used to be a way to vote on ideas to move them into production. Please allow me to add my vote to this. I am contacted by more faculty trying to have one due date for an initial post and another due date for replies peers than with ANY other request.

imagine
Surveyor

Yes! For all the reasons everyone is expressing. 

chriswhite
Explorer

I just saw "Multiple Due Dates" listed on the upcoming features for discussions in the CanvasCon 2020 Keynote. This is on the way!!!

mkm17b
Surveyor

Love all of these suggestions! Students in my courses have expressed concern that the Canvas gradebook shows just one assignment deadline when in fact there are two (e.g., I have students post to the discussion board Thursdays and reply to two peers by Sunday). Hope I "voted" correctly in favor of adding multiple due dates/checkpoints for discussion boards (which I did by clicking 5 stars on this idea). 🙂

dbesch
Surveyor

Give us this feature please

eprendergas2
Surveyor II

This needs to be a feature. Like many others who have commented, I have an assignment that requires an initial post and a reply. Students in my course right now sometimes forget to submit their reply because they only get a notification about the due date for the first post. And that's the only due date that shows up in the Course Summary. 

dspiel
Learner II

This should be a no brainer...