New Quizzes: Add ability to award partial credit for some numerical answers

0 Likes
(7)

In New Quizzes, you can choose to award different points to different multiple choice questions.

Please add this functionality to numeric questions. Most student mistakes are predictable in advance, so it is easy to come up with a set of wrong answers that are still deserving of partial credit.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

RobDitto
Community Champion

Rated 5 stars! @boylermaker , our institution's faculty are seeking to define partial-credit ranges, and even partial-credit formulas, for Numerical questions.

tonatiuh_rodrig
Community Member

Yes, please!!! I often use numeric answers with a tolerance range. It has happened that a student was 0.01 away from the tolerance and was marked completely wrong (we found it and I changed it manually). It would be nice to define a tolerance with two boundaries:

• A score inside the first boundary would earn full credit
  • A score inside the second boundary would earn partial credit on a prorated basis
  • A score outside the second boundary would earn no credit.
RobDitto
Community Champion

@tonatiuh_rodrig, I really like your two-boundaries suggested approach!

JMonahan2
Community Member

This functionality is absolutely necessary to teach STEM.

cindy_lurie
Community Explorer

We have had many faculty request partial credit for numeric answers.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.