New Quizzes: Rubric override in Quizzes

0 Likes
(2)

Good Morning, 

I am a district Virtual Learning Coach working with our Math Curriculum Leads.  

In our district we have timed math facts tests which are given in all four operations across our elementary schools.  The math facts tests are scored in the quiz feature, however, the time component is not automatically taken into account.  

Teachers have created a rubric to attach to this quiz, however, the rubric score cannot override the quiz score.  

It would be nice if this were possible so that we could better align with SBAC in scoring work as Exceeded, Met, Nearly Met, and Not Met.  

Thank you, 

Catherine 

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

missy_craven
Community Member

I am looking for the same feature.  I have been hand entering in all quiz scores after grading with rubric, which is already an additional step.  

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Participant

Our district uses Canvas rubrics to score summative assessments (ie: quizzes). We have been using rubrics to score quizzes (both classic and new) since we started using Canvas, but began experiencing "glitches" with rubrics attached to New Quizzes in the Spring of 2021 where the rubric score entered for the New Quiz would revert to the original New Quiz numeric score. The instructor then must go back into the individual student quiz and re-enter the rubric score to get it to "stick." It doesn't always happen, but often enough to cause problems. This is a serious work flow issue and wastes time, which is frustrating for our instructors. It also causes the gradebook to be incorrect and makes student grades inaccurate. We need Canvas rubrics to work well with New Quizzes as our standards-based courses use rubrics for grading New Quiz assessments. 

leward
Community Contributor

@cvhawkins , @MARISSASCHRADER , @missy_craven 

Just reviewing the idea suggestions for New Quizzes and came across this one.  I think the key here is to make sure the "use this rubric for assignment grading" box is left unchecked if you don't want the rubric score to override the quiz score.  If you do want it to override the score, then check the same box.

rubric_settings.png

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.