[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for Multiple Answers WITHOUT Penalty

Please offer the option to restrict students' answer selection to X number of choice selections and offer partial points for correct answers ONLY without deducting points for incorrect answers. The penalty option right now is killing my student scores! 

For example: I have a 2 point question that requires students to select 4 answers (each being worth 1/2 point). A student will select 4 answers but only 3 of them were the correct answer. They SHOULD receive the 1.5 points for the correct answer. But instead they receive only 1 point. 

If the issue is the half points- then please correct this and allow half points, or let US KNOW THAT THE SYSTEM WON'T CALCULATE HALF POINTS!

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

54 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

@NicLSim 

Are you using Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes?  We just tested this in New Quizzes and the partial points worked as you described they 'should' [above]. 

So if partial points is working correctly, are you still interested in continuing a conversation here about having the option to not deduct points in the calculation of grade?

NicLSim
Community Explorer

@Renee_Carney I am using New Quizzes and unfortunately, they are not working like I described. I even spoke with a representative about the issue and the solution was for me to "Fudge points" or to manually go in and provide the points that were deducted myself-to each question, for each student.

So, partial points, is not working- not yet at least.

mmcdermott
Community Member
IF I MAKE A QUIZ AND THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE ANSWERS, I WOULD LIKE A STUDENT TO GET ONE POINT FOR GETTING ONE OF THE TWO RIGHT ANSWERS. 

YOU DON'T TAKE A POINT OFF FOR MISSING A SINGLE ANSWER QUESTION, WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A POINT OFF FOR A MULTIPLE ANSWER QUESTION?

If a student gets a question wrong on a quiz and the question is worth one point is it minus one point or simply zero points....?   Obviously, a student does not lose a point for getting a question wrong.  Your explanation would suggest that if a question is worth one point, if the student were to get it right they would get one point, but that they would actually LOSE A POINT for getting the question wrong.  Based on your logic if there is a 10 question quiz and a student gets 5 right & 5 wrong then the student would get a zero.
NicLSim
Community Explorer

@mmcdermott THANK YOU!!! 🙏

LPT
Community Novice

I have stopped using and teaching people about Multiple Answer questions in quizzes because the penalty for wrong answers is against everything we would want to encourage students to learn about learning. If you penalise for a wrong answer and take away the reward from a right answer then you create an environment of fear where students are afraid to take a stab at the answer they aren't totally sure of.

How do I rate this idea?

m_a_fernandezpa
Community Member

Yes, I would totally support giving students partial credit in multiple answers without penalty. If this option could be added to Canvas, the New Quizzes functionality would be extremely useful. I do hope this can be done quickly, as I would really like to start using this option asap! 

NicLSim
Community Explorer

So Canvas!? Where are we at with this???? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

NicLSim
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired, am I understanding this process correctly that we've gone backwards from moderating to open to open for conversation?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@NicLSim 

This conversation has been opened for conversation, so after the moderation process, we've moved it forward for broader discussion by the community at large. (We don't have a status called "Open.") Please read through How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu... - Canvas Community for further insight into the idea conversations process.