Quizzes.Next should work with Lockdown Browser or Proctorio

(9)
Comments from Instructure

We're keeping this idea in On Beta status to reflect that there are two separate requests. Specifically, requests for Lockdown Browser and Proctorio are combined in the idea description, and we have completed the Lockdown Browser request.

Quizzes.Next needs to allow us to require Lockdown Browser or Proctorio to take the Quiz we make in that feature. I can't use this feature without either. 

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26937-canvas-release-notes-2020-07-18 

50 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@thomas_claeys ‌, we post all updates on the User Group: New Quizzes‌ home page, and I see that a lockdown solution is currently on the timeline.

brad_kirk
Community Explorer

It also would be great if Canvas simply stated in the QN documentation that it does not work with Respondus instead of having hundred of  frazzled teachers discover tis by trial and error and long chats.  Same for other oddities like Practice Quizzes don't show up on Calendar

liz_summers
Community Participant

We need proctorio because Respondus is too expensive for our small school. They currently only have Respondus lock down in the roll out plan. Is there a plan for Proctorio to be rolled out?

liz_summers
Community Participant

I only see Respondus. Is Proctorio on the list as well?

liz_summers
Community Participant

For us, the lockdown browser is an issue, along with the results feature. As it is now, when a student take a test, as we do in a classroom on a lockdown browser, we allow the student to see the answers one time in the controlled environment. This allows them to get feedback and then, it is closed. However, New Quizzes allows the questions and answers to be viewed perpetually unless the instructor remembers to go back and turn off the results. There is no scenario that we, as a nursing program, open test results just for students to view at their leisure. So, if we are required to go to New Quizzes, this will be such a risk to our testing processes in general. If you combine that with the inability to lockdown the browser, I feel that it will reduce the platform to a K-12 type platform, not suitable for higher education testing, unfortunately.  I am doing best to start telling any nursing program that I collaborate with, if they use Canvas. This is a huge concern as we will be forced to use the New Quizzes function. It does not look as if this will be fixed. The Deployment feature is not available yet. Is it available in beta??

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@liz_summers ‌, the idea requesting dates on answer release is currently open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14583-new-quizzes-show-and-hide-quiz-results-by-date 

liz_summers
Community Participant

thank you. I went and voted. I am going to try to really get the information out about this issue. I think a lot of teachers that I have talk to you do not realize that the results can be seen in the students grade results. When the quiz is closed, it looks like the student cannot see the results. You have to go in as an administrator and look at the students grade book to see that it is still open. This is a big problem because most teachers don't know that it is occurring.

liz_summers
Community Participant

Thank you for info

kate_demello
Community Explorer

We are new to Canvas as of May 1. Since old quizzes are being phased out, we really don't want to invest time into training faculty to create old quizzes when new quizzes is so very different. HOWEVER, we really need lockdown browser functionality for secure testing ASAP. When we started onboarding we saw Q2 as the timeframe and thought we would be good to go, but it seems there is a lot of silence on this... it isn't even ready in beta/test environments yet... We have new quizzes we created that can't be exported to old quizzes for the summer. What are you all doing? What do you recommend? 

#respondus#respondus lockdown browser#respondus monitor#respondus ldb#quizzes.next#proctoring#remote proctoring‌ 

liz_summers
Community Participant

We love Canvas; however, the new quizzes has a major flaw in it that a lockdown browser will not correct. I have worked on trying to make them aware of it, but I am not seeing a fix anytime soon. When a student takes an assessment in the New Quizzes, we have our results open, so they can get feedback immediately (we are a nursing program). Then, normally (in every other LMS we have used), you were able to create a setting to close the results at a certain time prior to the assessment, so the instructor did not have to go in and remember to manually close the results. So, if you don't remember to manually close them (as is the case in the New quizzes), the students will have access to the whole assessment in their gradebook. The crazy thing is that the instructor can't see that when they look at it in student view. It looks as if it is closed. Only an admin that has the right to enter the student's gradebook to view it will see it. In a bigger institution, I would be concerned that administration and faculty would not even know this was visible. I am hoping they engineer a fix. This seems something that would be consistent with low-quality education or K-12 education, NOT higher learning assessment and education. Thank you for reading.

Liz

Steven_S
Community Champion

I have stayed in old quizzes precisely because lockdown browser and proctorio are not yet options in new quizzes.  A tedious, but possible, solution for your quizzes is to open your new quiz in one window and add an old quiz to the course open in another window.  Then copy and paste questions and answers from new to old.  It's annoyingly tedious, but you can create all the old quizzes as blanks with no questions and availability dates that only open when students are supposed to access them, and spend the summer semester copying and pasting the questions back one quiz at a time before the quiz opens to students.  Canvas does seem to have added this to their "in development" stage, which does seem to make steady progress towards completion.

Steven_S
Community Champion

The inability to hide results is a separate issue that needs to be addressed, and it is especially concerning that teachers will be "fooled" into thinking results are hidden that are still visible to students who are taking later assessments.  Have you added an idea to address this in new quizzes?

milesl
Community Contributor

I brought up what I believe is the same issue here. Let me know if you find a feature request I can vote for.

kbink
Community Contributor

A group of academic technologists met in February to discuss new quizzes.  Here were are dealbreakers that are keeping us from using New Quizzes.  Percents are the results when we asked the ATs to pick three that were dealbreakers for them  

• Too hard to manually grade questions - 64%
  • Can’t migrate question banks from classic quiz- 60%
  • No proctoring - 52%
  • Can’t export student results to CSV - 34%
  • Can’t add images/files from Canvas to questions - 20%

If the dealbreakers don't stop you, here are some of the goodies you get:

• Questions added to Item Banks & edited in Item Banks are reflected wherever the question occurs
  • Set point values for individual answers
  • Scale the overall quiz scores
  • Restrict-student-results view is more granular
  • Set student accommodation at the course level
  • Attach instructions to a group of questions
  • More question types
tyler_witman
Community Participant

I believe this idea (that's open for voting) is what you all are talking about. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14583-new-quizzes-show-and-hide-quiz-results-by-date 

rpsimon
Community Contributor

I actually spoke to my CSM about this issue.  I was told that the reason this has not happened yet, is because Quizzes Next is considered to be in Beta mode.  Eventually, it will be supported by Lockdown Browser and I imagine Proctorio as well.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

I like to keep my eye on other LMS. I notice that Neo has recently added Lockdown Browser to their quiz engine. Whilst they don't have a new quiz engine, it appears the developments happened quite quickly. If this is a reason then I am also hoping that we will also see full functionality and parity with the current Quiz tool when it comes out of beta!

rpsimon
Community Contributor

I think and hoping we will.  Smiley Happy

cjacobs
Community Participant

We absolutely HAVE TO HAVE THIS!!!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Respondus LockDown Browser is supported in New Quizzes. For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26937-canvas-release-notes-2020-07-18 

For additional information or questions about LockDown Browser, visit the Respondus website.