Remove the ability to start a new attempt from the 'Submission Details' Page

Currently, if a student navigates to his or her grades page within a course and clicks on an assignment they have NOT completed, it allows them to start the quiz for the first time from a button inside the submission details iframe. If the student HAS completed the work and it has another attempt, it shows the entire page, any view they have permission to see of the first attempt, and the button to start the second attempt.

Here is the view if you have not taken the quiz yet:

144162_Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 4.19.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-15 at 4.19.05 PM.png

Here is one a student has tried his first attempt on, it allows a 'start' button after the content and before it displays his first attempt information:

144163_Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 2.58.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-16 at 2.58.39 PM.png

This is problematic because we are a modules- based school and we would like our students to ONLY work from the modules page for various reasons, mostly our rolling enrollment/work at your own pace structure and our module prerequisites that include 'must view' pages. If the student can access his work from the assignment submission page it's an ugly user experience (note the vertical and horizontal scroll bars) and a buggy result- we've noticed higher numbers of complaints of odd behavior from this page that are resolved by using the module page correctly.

Because we want our students to use the module page, we hide the 'assignments' and 'quizzes' pages to make navigation simpler. We have no way of hiding the grades/assignments submission pages, nor would we want to, but it creates an awkward parent call that we have at least one of every start date (every 2 weeks) where a family calls in to complain about 'all the scroll bars' and we realize they're doing this. We know we can hide the start button and the previous/next buttons with CSS but that's not a real solution and I can't think of a reason this SHOULD be this way in the first place. We would love for the submission view page to only view submissions, as it is this is awkward and unexpected functionality that seems to cause confusion and bugs. If the student wants to get back to the actual lesson page from the submission details page they can always click on the link in the breadcrumbs, this addition is confusing and messy.

10 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Explorer

I have a similar issue with students doing their submission directly from the "to do" list. I suppose I could include a requirement to view the lesson content in the module in a sequential order before it unlocks the submission, but as you are pointing out, it is important in a module-based lesson that the student views the lesson part before completing the submission part.

jennifer_cramer
Community Novice

Consider voting on this topic, too:

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Amanda:

I support this feature idea.

Generally, I support being able to control student access in an online course for many reasons, but specifically support controlling their access to assignments. I also use a module structure to sequence and  step-ladder instruction, and hide content areas I do not wish students to have access to. However, Canvas has still left some back doors open, and students invariable find and use those doors despite my strong recommendations that they work through the modules.

This and similar ideas have been submitted here before, so I hope that this time yours gets enough traction.

KLM

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We will examine this functionality as we continue work on the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​.

Jason

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hey Jason, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your presentation last week at the Washington Annual Canvas Conference. Great job, Sir!

KLM

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @kmeeusen 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!