Rubric Data for Instructors

0 Likes
(14)

I am surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I, as an instructor, can view aggregated/dis-aggregated data from the rubrics I use to score student work. For example, how many of my students (and which ones specifically) scored in the "satisfactory" column of the "examples" row in a specific rubric linked to a specific assignment intended to assess student writing?

I recognize that I can look at each student's individual response, but I would like to be able to plan a short lesson addressing common misconceptions and misunderstandings based on the data I find from my grading. It would also be helpful to be able to assign groups based on common needs assessed by the rubric. 

If this functionality already exists, I would love to hear how to access it; if not, I would love to see it come into being. 

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

john_morris
Community Participant

I agree, this would be an excellent feature... how do I "vote this up!"?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@john_morris 

Looks like you have! Applying the desired star rating (and we hope, adding a great use case example) are how Community members can support an idea.

john_morris
Community Participant

@Stef_retired 

Yes, of course... right after I hit Post!

jelek
Community Novice

Bumping this.

BRiceEndicott
Community Novice

I use rubrics as a way to assess progress on indicators across a program. These are built into our courses. I truly need to be able to download an entire class of rubric results to be able to track this progress. Please find a way to make this possible. Thanks! 

chaldeat
Community Participant

When working with faculty on assessment, it is so important to be able to point out the benefits of the additional work involved in good assessment.  A crucial part of assessment is using data to make informed decisions, well we all know it's the reason for assessment.  If there isn't a way to get the data out of Canvas, I believe we'll have a difficult time convincing faculty to invest time in setting up and assessing with Canvas outcomes/rubrics.

So I agree it would be extremely beneficial to be able to export rubric data.  I can think of many ways that data would be useful.  

john_morris
Community Participant

Good news, the data can be downloaded from Canvas. It requires that you enable the Learning Mastery gradebook, do this in Settings. If you have created your rubrics in Outcomes but hadn't enabled the Learning Mastery gradebook, good news, you can do so after-the-fact!

Export of the gradebook is a bit counter-intuitive. Go to the Gradebook for the course, in the upper left corner, click Gradebook > Learning Mastery... A new screen will appear and Export report is on the right margin of the screen. The output is a CSV file.

Now the bad news, Canvas does not have a way to compare this data from section-to-section or term-to-term. But, depending on your spreadsheet (or other database) skills, you can manipulate the CSV file outside of Canvas.

See this Canvas Guide for more detailed instructions and related information, How do I use the Learning Mastery Gradebook to view outcome results in a course? 

jmurray6
Community Participant

You can compare outcomes based assessment from section-to-section or term-to-term (this is how the Academic Assessment process works at my institution) - but it requires setting up the outcomes at the account or sub-account level (depending upon what one wants to compare/trend and how AND how ones general subaccount hierarchy is setup) and importing those outcomes into the courses/rubrics. Then an admin (subaccount or global admin depending upon what "level" of data is needed) to run outcomes reports (and slicing that data in meaningful ways).  

However, outcomes based assessment and general rubric items tend to be a bit different - two sides of the same coin to an extent. For us, "regular rubric" items are the grading criteria that feed into course outcomes. Course outcomes feed into Program Outcomes, and Program Outcomes feed into Institutional Outcomes. So, Course Outcomes are programmed into the "Subject" account level, program outcomes are at the "department/division levels" and our institutional outcomes are at the institution account level.

The "unfortunate" part for us is that Canvas cannot do the association between outcome levels, so we have to do that part manually outside of Canvas - but as long as the CLO, PLO, or GLOs are in rubric items and scored - the raw data exists in Canvas and can be pulled from the built in Canvas Reports or Canvas Data. I then put that raw data through 140 different "slices/calculations" that I've programmed in PowerBL and Excel to get data for each "Pathway/Major," Program, Division and the entire Institution that we then trend from semester to semester looking for courses/subjects or "outcomes" that need some extra attention or intervention. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.