Submitting files to Turnitin on behalf of student

0 Likes
(1)

Blackboard enabled instructors to upload files on behalf of students to run the files through SafeAssign, without requiring an assignment with a deadline.  Canvas offers no such option with Turnitin, and this is a very frustrating absence of a simple option.  This would definitely be used by many instructors, if it were offered.

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @LeeG . When I was teaching, I typically accomplished this by logging into Turnitin and submitting the paper directly. Have you tried that?

LeeG
Community Novice

@Stef_retired Yes I have tried that, but I get an error message saying, "Your institution doesn't allow access to Turnitin using this method of authentication."  

It makes far more sense to me for Canvas to integrate this into their platform anyway so that students could access/view the report results as well as the Instructor. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the quick reply, @LeeG . The Turnitin site provides instructions for turning this capability on at the institutional level: Enabling direct submissions

We'll move your idea forward for broader discussion. Most likely, this long-standing idea would need to be developed first:  Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

In the meantime, I hope you will also approach your local Canvas admin to ask them to enable this capability for instructors and/or explain their rationale for disabling it; it's a valuable tool for instructors that is easy to use.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.