Viewing feedback

0 Likes
(12)
Idea is currently in development

For a student to view instructor annotations on a document they have submitted there are a lot of clicks and it is not intuitive. Then, once the feedback comes up, it is in a tiny window and they need to click once again to make it bigger. I wish that somehow this feedback which is valuable to them and professors spend a lot of time doing would just pop up for them. I need to make videos that are a few minutes long, just to explain to them how to view feedback. 

Tags (3)
12 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

L_Knight
Community Participant

Instructure needs to set assignments with instructor annotated feedback in them to automatically open so students can see the feedback easier. 

Currently, there are too many steps for students to see instructor feedback. When an instructor annotates a student's assignment by leaving feedback in a paper, the ability for students to find that feedback is still so small, even with the little blue dot next to it to let students know there is feedback. That is not intuitive for students.

Why doesn't Canvas set the assignment to AutoOpen to SHOW the students the feedback that was written in the document rather than making a student look for the super SMALL hyperlink that says, View Feedback? 

careysmith
Community Participant

I totally agree!

careysmith
Community Participant

How can we vote for this? No voting icons appear.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @careysmith - Please "rate" the idea by using the stars near the title of the thread. More importantly, participate in the discussion thread! Both are great ways to show support for the feature and help the engineers understand the need and various use cases.

clopezbowlin
Community Novice

I definitely agree! I always have to spend extra time showing my students how to view my feedback.

byoung86
Community Explorer

100% agree. 

Even though this topic has been marked as "deployed:" that is anything but the case. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Making-feedback-more-visible-to-students/idi-p... 

Having students go into the assignment to find my comments is unintuitive and I know most students don't do it. The way students view feedback needs to be overhauled to make it much more obvious that an instructor has left comments. 

ToriS
Community Member

Absolutely agree as well. Additionally, our trainers have commented that the 'view feedback' button for students is not obvious at all, and they often miss it. It should be clear and easy for students to view feedback as soon as they go into the assignment.

As byoung86 commented above, there is a similar topic marked as 'deployed' but there are still large improvements that can be made.

ElijahGuerra1
Community Member

I totally agree! I've talked to so many writing instructors and so many say that writing students are having trouble finding where to read the feedback we give on their papers in Canvas even if we say go to "submission details" and "view feedback." What if Canvas redesigned so our feedback is sent directly to them in a more accessible way?

L_Knight
Community Participant

I'm not positive, but I believe I heard from my students that they are now getting a notification when a document has been annotated with feedback by the instructor. I still let them know in the comments area that I've left them feedback in the Rubric and in the Paper. And I have an assignment at the beginning of the semester where I show them how to find my instructor feedback based on some low stakes assignments students have handed in. I put the assignment in the Canvas Commons if you'd like to use it and edit it as your own.  Remember, in order for that link to work, you might need to go to the Canvas Commons area from your Canvas instance first and then select that link to authorize your Commons access. 

All of that said, the "view feedback" link is still SO SMALL that it's hard for students to find it still 😞 But I feel hopeful with the changes Instructure is making that they'll make it more accessible. 

byoung86
Community Explorer

I wouldn't hold my breath. After all it has been since at least 2015 that people have been asking for this... https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Making-feedback-more-visible-to-students/idi-p... 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

Please see the Canvas Roadmap for more details!