[Gradebook Settings] Weighted Grading Periods Totals

Currently, when weighting grading periods, we are only able to use the All Grading Periods label to view our weighted grading periods totals. Since our SIS, PowerSchool, creates S1 & S2 grading periods totals, it would be great if we had that ability in Canvas.

In addition to All Grading Periods, we should be able to define additional total grading period labels and define which grading periods are used to calculate the total. We cannot currently set up grading periods that overlap, this would resolve that issue.

For instance: Looking at the image below, being and to add S1 = Q1, Q2, E1 & S2 = Q3, Q4, E2 and then having S1 and S2 as additional options Grading Periods dropdown.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 094353.pngScreenshot 2021-12-14 094931.png

Those experiencing the same issues please up vote this idea.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea, @michael_william . The scenario contains numerous variables that will need to be determined before we can move forward. How this works depends on the SIS your school is using (I see a "powerschool" tag, but not a mention in the idea itself), the integration configuration of the SIS with Canvas, and many other factors.

We would recommend that you first reach out to your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for more information and direct assistance; they may be able to get this resolved for you. Alternatively, or perhaps in addition, you might want to ask your SIS vendor for help.

Thanks!

michael_william
Community Participant

Hello @Stef_retired . Thank you for providing suggestions and guidance for this submission. I went back and specified our SIS. I didn't include a specific SIS initially, thinking this may be impacting others using different SIS's.

We spoke with our CSM about this issue over the summer before the start of the new year and at that time could not resolve the issue on either side. I will reach back out and discuss the idea I have suggested here and will remove the idea if we can get it resolved.

Thank you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you, @michael_william ! We'll maintain this in Moderating status as we await your update.

nkching
Community Explorer

We would love to have this feature too. Our teachers would like the ability to quickly see each quarter grades along with a Semester grade. Right now, as currently set up, we can't generate a semester grade for semester courses since the year grade is an average of all 4 quarters and a semester exam. We wish we can give the teachers more autonomy to adjust their grading period weights along with their category weights -- features that are offered by other grade book programs like Quick School or Engrade.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme