Whitespace (indents and spaces) is not always preserved in text entry box assignment submissions

0 Likes

I teach computer science, and whitespace indentation is important for source code readability and sometimes functionality. Students submit code through the assignment text entry box, and their submissions are frequently stripped of the whitespace indentation, which makes the code difficult to assess. I have not been able to determine why the indentation is preserved in some submissions and not others, but it is definitely inconsistent.

Whitespace and indentation should always be preserved in assignment submissions that use the text entry box.

I have also noticed that whitespace indentation is also often stripped from submission comments as well

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @paulbui -

Your use case makes perfect sense. Your inquiry actually makes me wonder if this feature is performing as intended or if you've identified a bug. Have you submitted this to Canvas Support? I would be interested to have them investigate the inconsistencies.

How do I contact Canvas Support? 

How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

Please let the Community know what you learn. 🐼

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @paulbui - 

Have you had an opportunity for Canvas Support to look at this? If so, it would be great to hear what they were able to share. Thanks!

If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by January 31, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived