"Set a Default Grade For Students Who..."

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to add an option to the "Set Default Grade" feature to differentiate between those that have submitted an assignment vs. those that have not submitted the assignment. Similar to how I can "Message Students Who...", I would like to add the option to "Set a Default Grade For Students Who..."

My choices might be:

• "Haven't Submitted Yet"
  • "Have Submitted"
  • "All Students"
  • "Haven't Been Graded Yet"

As it stands, I typically use the "Set Default Grade" function for 0's, but what that means is that I have to grade all the submissions before I can apply the 0to the students that have not completed the assignment. I would like to be able to more efficiently apply the 0's to spur action from the students that have not submitted the assignment.

23 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @bradley_bailey , Thank you for submitting this great feature idea and thoroughly outlining your request! I also would love to see this ability for instructors! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea!

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016! Smiley Wink

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

lvm55
Community Novice

Perhaps another choice could be "Submitted the assignment late"

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey All! We have designs that solve this problem in the future. I'm not sure exactly when this new work will make it into production, so I'm moving it into Under Consideration.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

susan-wallace
Community Member

Would love this feature to ALSO include set default grade AND set grade comment for students who...   This would enable you to update grade comments for a subset of students on simple assignments without having to update them one at a time.

shane_lauber
Community Novice

I would like the ability to have a comment field so you can set the default grade and enter a default comment that the instructor can create/edit. For example, I might want to include something like "did not submit assignment, please submit within 36 hours to earn a grade for this assignment" or anything I choose up to a x amount of characters say 500

shane_lauber
Community Novice

What is the ETA on this feature?

shane_lauber
Community Novice

How can we be added as a power user/test user/ focus group user?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.