remove and delete

0 Likes
(7)

Both options need to be available within a module.  If I no longer want something in a module I can only remove it, so it still stays in pages, assignments, etc.  Just more junk to weed through when looking for something or a million more clicks to go into the category and delete there.

Canvas needs to be more user friendly with LESS CLICKS!

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

adamboyce
Community Participant

Totally agree. 

trinems
Community Member

Canvas should absolutely allow users to delete individual contents (pages, assignments, etc.) from the modules view, as well as delete all the contents of a module in one step.  Without these options, we have multiple time-consuming steps to accomplish these important (and never-ending) tasks.  Please make this option available!!!  This will save users so much time.

swells3
Community Explorer

Yes, please!! Especially important when we are having to do it for multiple sections, as so many of us are. 

ablankenbaker2
Community Member

When removing content such as a page or assignment from the module, often this leaves extraneous content in other places within the course. End users are frequently not familiar enough with Canvas to realize that removing from the module does not delete this item entirely. As an instructional designer, I realize the value in being able to retrieve or replace removed content into the modules. However, I also experience reviewing courses that have a ton of past-related or unused items in the pages list and other places that are not being actively used in the Modules.

I recommend when the notice that confirms "Are you sure you want to remove this item from the module?" that this provide not only this option but also an additional option to remove from the entire course. So the new item would state something like:

You are about to remove this item from this module location. Doing so only removes from this list. To retain this item in the course, click "Module Only" below. 

If you are removing an item that is no longer needed for any future purpose, you have the option to "Remove Entirely," which will delete this component from the full course permanently.

Buttons: "Module Only" or "Remove Entirely"

Amanda35
Community Novice

I agree! We are trying to remove old unwanted pages from multiple Canvas courses across our entire institution, and we are having to jump through hoops to make it happen. Being able to permanently delete an item when first removing it from a module would be a huge improvement! It's silly to have to go two different places (two different steps) to delete an item out of the course.

jon_mason
Community Participant

I agree too! I normally end up using Modules as guide, then going into the individual tools and deleting things there, so I can then refresh the module to ensure that I've deleted everything. This would be much easier if I could just delete from the module, though obviously with appropriate warnings/checks in place. I think I like @ablankenbaker2's idea of having a single action (probably 'Delete') that then presents two options: "Remove from module" or "Delete from course".

jon_mason
Community Participant

Please also see this idea (that really should just be fixed as a bug) to make the remove workflow more consistent: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Modules-Use-remove-not-delete-in-confirmation-...

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.