Copying a Home Page

Jump to solution
elateacher
Community Member

I have created my home page in one course-it works and looks great from student view. Then I copied it to my two other courses. From MY view it looks great and all the links work, but from STUDENT VIEW there is nothing there, but the links. Did I copy it wrong? HELP!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
A_K_Dekker
Community Participant

Hi @elateacher ,

When you copied the homepage you also copied the links on that page which are referring to items in your original course. You have access to that first course, but this might not be true for the students of the second and third course, and is definitely not true for the teststudent in course 2 & 3. That is why it works for you but not in the studentview.

For example a link to a file in course 1 would look like this yourschool.canvas.instructure.com/courses/1/files/12345 

This item is only available to students enrolled in course 1.

When you copy the home page it copies the exact link, therefore referring to a file in course 1.

The teststudent for studentview in course 2 only has access files in course 2, the link should therefore be  yourschool.canvas.instructure.com/courses/2/files/12345 (assuming the file has the same link, which it probably won`t have).

A better way to approach this would be to import the content of the first course into the second and third course, this way the links will be rebuild for the new course: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-copy-content-from-another-Canvas-course... 

View solution in original post