cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandyGambill
Community Member

Editing a published page without sending a notification

First time poster with what is probably a simple question. I've searched and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.  

I have a published page in a live course with students.   I need to edit that page to fix something like a typo. How do I do that without triggering a notification to students that the page has been updated? If this isn't a setting I can control, if there a work around? Un-publish the page, fix it, and re-publish?

Thank you! I'm new to Canvas at a campus that is working on migrating to Blackboard.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gcollins1
Community Participant

I think it is as easy as making your page edits and then not checking this box, next to the save button at the bottom-right of the edit screen.
notify.png

SandyGambill
Community Member

Thanks for responding! I have that setting turned off but it's sending notifications anyway.  Since we're just migrating to Canvas, I'm in touch with our migration rep.  I'll report back if I figure anything out.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @SandyGambill ...

Are all you students in the class getting notified that you've been updating content in your course?  Or just select students?  Every user in Canvas (students, instructors, Canvas admins, etc.) have their own personal notification settings that they can turn on/off at will.  This is done via the "Account" >> "Notifications" Screen in Canvas.  This screen controls all notifications for all courses that a user is enrolled in.  One of the rows on this page is for "Course Content" which includes changes to page content.  It's quite possible that some or all of your students have options turned on so that they are getting notified of the changes you make to your pages.  You cannot control the settings of your students...that is for each student to decide on his/her own.

There are also notification settings that you can further customize per course...which are similar to the settings at your user account level.  So, for example, you may want to get certain notifications in one course, but you may not want to get those same notifications in another course.

Here are a handful of Guides for you to look through:

I hope these resources will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this information...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.