InstCarn Recap: Day 2 - Reflections

mjennings
Community Coach
Community Coach

TL;DR

So many good sessions & activities that it is hard to know what to do. Just make a choice and plan to watch the rest later.

Overall Impressions

So after a full day of InstructureCarn down, I can still say this is the greatest educational conference around. There is such a wonderful diversity of educators, technical wizards and Canvas employees that no matter what you are wanting to know you can find it. The down side to all of the awesome success is that it can seem overwhelming and hard to know how to find what you are looking for. Thankfully the people of the Canvas community are the most friendly and helpful in the world, so all you have to do is ask.

Evening Activities

The Street Fair at River Run was another amazingly well put together event full of music, performers and food. While I still think the lines are out of control and would make any K-12 teach go bananas, I'm am not sure if there is a better way to handle it. Trudging through the chaos with two children did make it a challenge but we were eventually able to find food and a place to sit to eat.

While I'm on the topic of food and kids, I really wish that the food options were more kid friendly, especially for the price of the kid's pass to be able to get food. I would have even been happy to have a special kid's boxed meal that had PB&J, chips & a drink that would have kept me from trying to convince my kids that what I was asking them to eat was delicious and would not kill them. 

But I digress.

We were able get a family caricature early on before the lines were busy. Not so sure it's the best representation, or why my youngest has a mullet, but it was a lot of fun and a great memory.

283953_pastedImage_1.jpg

Hack Night

Hack night is one of my favorite nights. I generally try to come in with at least one problem that I am looking to find help solving. While I totally did that this year, I completely blew the prep work. I forgot all of my files on a thumb drive that I left in my office. I had a co-worker email them to me, but didn't download them to my laptop prior to arriving at Hack Night. I spend probably a good 30 minutes fighting the internet in the room before finally getting it downloaded. then I had a hard time finding the person I was trying to find to help me. When carroll-ccsd finally found me, things got going well.  My oldest son (who really wanted to come) started nodding off and I had stayed longer than I told my wife I would keep him out, so we exchanged info to keep working through the issue offsite.

I give Hack Night an A+, my execution a C-

Random Thoughts

I really got in to Carnival Quest this year. That is the Badgr scavenger hunt to find the hidden QR codes that were placed around the conference. This got to very fun and helped me meet several other "hunters". Only only wish I did a better job of remembering their names (Sarah, Anthony, & one other that I am totally blanking on at the moment) so I could tag them here.

*All of the content here is thoughts, opinions, musings and ramblings. It's like you just walked into my head.  Please excuse the mess.