cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
applem
Community Contributor

How do I make all my quizzes out of 10 points but have various number of questions?

Jump to solution

Teacher  question:

"I was wondering if it is possible to over ride a quiz point amount.  For example I know you can make a rubric and have a different point total then what the rubric
indicates.  So I was wondering if I could have a 23 question quiz but only make it worth 10 points."

The teacher would like to make all of her quizzes worth 10 points but have various number of questions. You cannot use a rubric to grade quizzes and she does not want to regrade every quiz.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem ​, if you don't want to use a rubric to grade this, then the only way to do this is to take 10 points/23 questions = .434782609 and then manually make each quiz question worth this number of points; if you're using question groups you would set the number of points each question is worth to this amount. Granted it probably won't add up exactly to 10, but it's the closest you can get. It might actually be easier to tweak the number of questions on the quiz (ex: make it 20 questions so it would be 0.5 points per question) or the number of points the quiz is worth.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @applem ​ ~ When I look my quiz settings, I see the option to grade with a rubric. If you edit the quiz, click the settings gear to the top right. There, you have the option to View Rubric. You can then create a rubric and adjust the score that way. It would be extra work, but it should override the earned score.

Ah! I think I read your question too quickly!  @kona ​ work around is the best way to customize points if you don't want to use a rubric.

Just a thought -- be careful when editing the point values of questions in case those questions are included in a question bank. That may add a layer of complexity to the task.

applem
Community Contributor

Thank you for the quick response. I saw the rubric option under settings, but that is for measuring outcomes. How do I add a Rubric to a Quiz?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem ​, if you don't want to use a rubric to grade this, then the only way to do this is to take 10 points/23 questions = .434782609 and then manually make each quiz question worth this number of points; if you're using question groups you would set the number of points each question is worth to this amount. Granted it probably won't add up exactly to 10, but it's the closest you can get. It might actually be easier to tweak the number of questions on the quiz (ex: make it 20 questions so it would be 0.5 points per question) or the number of points the quiz is worth.

Hope this helps!

applem
Community Contributor

I think the teacher wanted Canvas to automatically calculate the point values.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem , if the Instructor wants Canvas to automatically calculate the grade then what I suggested is pretty much the only way to go. There is a feature idea for this - - that is currently archived, but could likely be implemented when the do the Modern Quizzing Engine​. My recommendation is to follow and comment on both of these items so you'll be notified of any updates.

Hope this helps!

applem
Community Contributor

@kona ​ I will share your information with the teacher. She also wanted the ability to shuffle questions which is listed on the modern quizzing engine page.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem ​, by shuffle do you mean randomize the order of the questions on the quiz? If so, then this functionality already exists, there just isn't an easy check-box for it. What you do to randomize the order of questions is to create a question group and then drag all of your questions into the question group. You can then set the questions to be worth what ever number of points you want and it will automatically apply to all questions in the group. Check out this guide and see if it helps - How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?

applem
Community Contributor

@kona ​, it would be nice to just check a box for the shuffle questions options when creating the quiz! I will encourage the teacher to create question banks and question groups. Thank you for the support.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem , our previous LMS had the checkbox option and it was much appreciated! Also, the instructor does not have to use question banks to use question groups. You CAN use question banks with groups, but you don't have to! Granted if the Instructor wants to re-use the questions question banks will end up working better, but otherwise it's not a requirement.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

I have a alternative to the answer above.  I had the same problem in my class and found another work around.  Under my assignments tab  I created multiple groups, and using the assignments settings I make each their weights equal.  

For example if I have 10 assignments for my students I would have ten different  groups each having a weight of 10 percent.  When you create your assignment under quizzes you would choose the next group. 

Just a note  when i do this I name my groups #1 through #10 with the date of the assignment after each group.  Then when I create the quiz i simply use the date of the group I created.    The ten groups I have set up continue to work from one nine weeks into the next.  All I need now to do is change the dates each nine weeks.

@applem ​

Nice workaround John Smiley Wink