cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

Principal access to student grades

Jump to solution

How can principals/counselors, whom we have set up with account level roles for our buildings, view an individual student's grades for all courses, instead of course by course? I'd prefer not to give them "become" access. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Short answer is right now you really can't.

We use a third party solution - Dropout Detective - but that's overkill for what you're looking for (we use it for our online students to track those who are at risk). I'm guessing if you have someone who is good at digging into the back end of Canvas you could program something to pull this information. Something else to think about is that Canvas is coming out with hosted data services (possibly later this year?) that might allow you to get this information.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
wgargaro
Community Participant

We plan to do that by having them 'masquerade' as the student they are

trying to find grades for.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM, kristin.bayless@vansd.org <

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Short answer is right now you really can't.

We use a third party solution - Dropout Detective - but that's overkill for what you're looking for (we use it for our online students to track those who are at risk). I'm guessing if you have someone who is good at digging into the back end of Canvas you could program something to pull this information. Something else to think about is that Canvas is coming out with hosted data services (possibly later this year?) that might allow you to get this information.

View solution in original post

clong
Community Champion

Hi  @kristin_bayless ​,

It involves a lot of clicking around, unless they masquerade, as  @wgargaro ​ suggested.

One of our programmers made a portal page for parents, students and staff that takes the grades out of Canvas and puts them all in one place like this:

90339_pastedImage_1.png

So it's doable with API or batch downloads and uploads. Smiley Wink

Chris_Munzo
Community Champion

Hi, Kristin.  As  @kona ​ mentioned, our Dropout Detective gives the following view.  It can be given to principals or counselors, so they have a view across all of the student's classes.  But you can also choose to give all teachers a view into all classes and all grades, too.  There more to it -- the ability to share notes that stay attached to a student's record, the ability to automatically identify at-risk students via a Risk Score.  Let me (or your CSM) know if you are interested in knowing more.

Overview K-12.PNG

James
Community Champion

@kristin_bayless ​

There was a bunch of discussion about this with some information in another post. Much of which is what people have copied here.  @kona ​ asked me to chime in with Canvancement. The site isn't officially announced, but it's slowly leaking out

https://github.com/jamesjonesmath/canvancement/tree/master/grades

There are two files there, follow the instructions on the page because I don't have have a video made yet.

all-grades adds buttons to your pages that will let you click and go to the grades for all courses for a student (if you have the right permissions)

name-grades will replace the "Courses I'm Taking" with the name and optionally student ID number of the student.

Both scripts work in Firefox or Chrome, but you will need to add the user script manager first. Again, see the instructions on the page.

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

Thanks James, this is definitely something to look into!

I also noticed a feature request for this. 

Masquerading as a user means the staff member must be set up as an admin at the root level, which gives them the ability to see students in all buildings.  I'm hoping for an option (without the hefty expense of an external software program) allowing our support staff access to see grades for the students only at their location.