Blackboard to Canvas

lbarratt1
Community Participant

I'm brand new in the community and new to Canvas. We are running a pilot this spring where a few dozen faculty will be using Canvas instead of Blackboard. I'm the lone trainer at our campus for LMS systems.

Would anyone be kind enough who has been to this war share with me what they did for training?

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Canvas Essentials

Editing the menu

• Setting your personal preferences
  • Inbox for communicating
  • Creating Pages
  • Setting a Home Page
  • Uploading files

Getting from Blackboard to Canvas

• Informal moving of files from Blackboard to Canvas
  • Users will log into their Blackboard Course – download files – organize and cleanup files – upload files into Canvas
  • Users will learn how to incorporate these files into a Canvas course
  • Moving of quizzes, tests and surveys
  • What works and what doesn’t
  • Checking feedback and scores
  • How to deploy a quiz

Canvas Grade Center Essentials

• How to add a column in the Grade Center
  • Types of assignments

Canvas Communication Tools

• Inbox
  • Live Chat
  • Conferencing tool

I've created the following instructional videos to share with you:

Getting started with Canvas - YouTube

feeling-overwhelmed-199x300.jpg

Again, I'm in this battle alone and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Leona :smileygrin:

Tags (2)
6 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, we didn't migrate from Bb, but we've got a completely online Instructor training course that you are welcome to take a look at - Public Instructor Training. This is the public version of the course, so we don't have anything locked down. We are still in the process of updating everything for the new UI, but you are welcome to use anything that might be helpful; if you'd like the course file just let me know!

In addition, here are two great resources from the Community:

Hope this helps!

PS I went ahead and switched this from a question to a discussion since there is no right or wrong answer.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Hi Leona,

Hang in there!

When we started up, we had different workshops on different topics.  For example, one workshop focused solely on Quizzes.  While others focused on SpeedGrader/Assignments, Inbox/Discussions, etc.  I think it helped by breaking the training into different pieces.  I think faculty were less overwhelmed that way! After everyone got acclimated, I now send out emails when major updates take place in Canvas.  Once the faculty were initially trained, they are not prone to attend additional workshops.  Therefore, I send out the emails for the ones who want to be updated!

Also, below is a Canvas Basics training outline I use for adjuncts and one-on-one sessions.

august2013facultytraining.pdf - Google Drive

lbarratt1
Community Participant

Kylie,

This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for sharing with me.

I'm the sole trainer for LMS plus I have to train on several other topics too.

Thanks for being awesome!

Leona

mjohnson3
Community Contributor

Hi Leona!

We are all in this war together!  Smiley Happy  I have loads of videos that I will be happy to share with you, as well as our Canvas training course.  I will post them in a bit, but for purely entertainment purposes, I will share our migrating content from 9.1 to Canvas circa 2013... so the interface is not the new UI (and in many ways not the old UI either), but the steps are essentially the same. And it is fun to see how far we have all come.

Migrating from Blackboard 9.1 to Canvas - YouTube

We have a single 'technical' aspects course that we are re-doing now that we are in the new UI, and I am actually creating mini-videos (about a minute or so each- so SUPER time consuming) that our instructors go through. This is my playlist of ALL my videos for Canvas, some are older than others.  All Canvas - YouTube

Smiley Happy
Mary

lbarratt1
Community Participant

Thank you Mary.

I made a video too... for grins 😉

https://youtu.be/OqWeAC1kIs4

cbarger
Community Novice

We are running our pilot for the Fall with about 30 faculty and 80 courses. We are fully transitioning to go live in Spring 2017.

How did your pilot go? How was the training? Do you have any advice in hindsight?

Crystal