cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrolfes

Migrating Test Banks to New Quizzes

Has Canvas determined how to do this?  It's essential for those of use who have typed hundreds of questions into test banks.

Considering that the use of New Quizzes will soon be required, clean and seamless migration should be a top priority. 

Thank You.

13 Replies
venitk
Community Champion

@jroles I totally agree and would also like this migration feature. However, from what I understand, New Quizzes is being "required" in July just in the sense that that institutions have New Quizzes turned on, not that they're turning off Classic Quizzes. That was the original plan (to start turning off Classic in July), but they changed that and haven't yet announced a date for turning off Classic. I've also heard that they won't turn off Classic until they figured out an easy way to migrate, but I'd love confirmation on that, too. 

HTH with stress levels, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong! 🙂 

snugent
Community Champion

You can migrate now but the process currently requires a bunch of steps so it is not desirable. I wrote this awhile ago so some information is out of date. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this new community site and editing appears to very difficult. 

New Quiz Migration Options

According to this page, New Quizzes Timeline Overview, the new migration tool should be available in summer 2021. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Hi there, great resources posted above. I recently came across this video series on quiz migration that I found helpful. Clear demonstration of the migration process(es). Hopefully the processes will be refined further so that videos like these are not required.

0 Kudos
CCProf1234

I have been monitoring the progress of New Quizzes. In particular, I am increasingly concerned about the yet to be developed means of seamlessly migrating question banks from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes. As of Fall 2021, it is my understanding there exists only a work around. The work around is by no means seamless and would involve a massive amount of work for those who have built hundreds of question banks.

Additionally, I am concerned that New Quizzes does not offer all of the same question types as Classic Quizzes. What will happen to our Classic Quizzes question types that do not have the corresponding question type in New Quizzes.

I urge Instructure to provide an update and delay the end date of Classic Quizzes until the above issues have been resolved.

wkoch

I am among MANY with hundreds of questions and quizzes. Providing us a way to migrate our old quizzes is an absolute must! Not doing so is lunacy! If smooth migration isn’t provided, then I would suggest to our Ed Tech Dept that we look into the possibility of finding an LMS company that wouldn’t do this to instructors. 

0 Kudos
jmenon35

The concerns regarding the smooth transition from the Classic Quizzes and the New Quizzes format needs to be addressed.  The quizzes, that have been built in Canvas, are not just some test bank that has been copied and can be again.  These Quizzes are the intellectual property of those that use them to evaluate the understanding of their students.  Hours have gone into the structure and design of these questions and it is very important that the integrity of this material remain intact.  

isabel_anievas
Community Participant

Thanks for bringing it up this issue.

I would like to start migrating my quizzes, but I cannot do it without a full editor that allows me to embed videos and recordings (and ideally Canvas Studio videos as well). I teach Spanish, so videos and recordings are an essential part of my quizzes. 

I have tried several of the recommended options for migrating Classic Quizzes into New Quizzes but my Canvas Studio Videos and other media recordings do not show up in my migrated quizzes (neither in the instructions nor in the questions), so I really hope this issue will be resolved before we migrate to New Quizzes. 

I hope to see a more efficient way of migrating our Classic Quizzes without losing our video and media embedded in both instructions and questions. 

And of course, I also hope that the New Quizzes will allow us to embed new video and audio content in newly created quizzes. I am reluctant to continue to create quizzes in Classic format, but without a full editor that allows me to integrate videos and audio, I really do not have another choice. 

LynneB

I am concerned about New Quizzes. I have built my own question banks using charts, graphs, and my photos.  These need to transfer seamlessly along with the written questions.  I also want to make sure that questions can still be asked in a random manner.  Any update in quizzes should not take place until the transfer works flawlessly and quickly.  

yoder1
Community Participant

@LynneB Have you seen examples of not being able to ask questions in a random manner with the New Quizzes? I would also be concerned about this if there are issues here.

0 Kudos
mwhite3
Community Participant

You can easily randomize questions and responses in New Quizzes. My concern is that I haven't been able to figure out how to have a New Quiz randomly pull 2 questions out of an item bank that contains say 20 questions. It seems like all I can do is select all 20 of the item bank questions and pull those into the New Quiz.

0 Kudos

Hi mwhite3!

It is easy to select just some questions to pull from your Item Bank. The trick is that you have to edit the bank questions after you put them in. Select the +All/Random option and the bank comes into the quiz. From there, select the editing option and instead of choosing All Questions, choose Randomly Select Questions. From there, you choose how many questions you want randomly selected from the bank and the point value. Hope this helps!

Heidi

mwhite3
Community Participant

Oh thanks so much. I was lost. I was sure that I had been able to do it before, but I was thinking it was over on the Item Bank side. Now - thanks to your great directions I understand. Here's your star for the day.

And apologies to Canvas for the bad thoughts I had running through my head 🙄

0 Kudos
kmenning

I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to migrate my classic quiz assignments to New Quizzes. I have taken to heart the messages like "Classic Quiz Sunset Timeline" that seems to urge instructors to start using New Quizzes, so I decided to give it another try (having made an attempt two years ago and expressing my displeasure to Instructure about how poorly New Quizzes seemed to work.) But I am dumfounded that Canvas does not yet have a tool to migrate old content, and instead offers a clumsy workaround. Not all question types are supported, and New Quizzes still doesn't work as well as classic quizzes, despite being YEARS in development. Canvas should NOT be suggesting that classic quizzes will sunset, nor urging instructors to start using New Quizzes, until it is clear to everyone that New Quizzes is superior to classic quizzes, and that migrating will be easy.