[Portfolium Assessment] Linking Courses and Assignments to Canvas Workflow Overview

Portfolium Assessment Resource Document

This document discusses how to link courses and assignments between Portfolium Course Assessment and Canvas LMS. Before a linked assignment can be set as a pathway requirement, the course and assignment must be linked between the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform and Canvas LMS.

Before beginning the process outlined in this document, it is recommended that you add learning outcomes and rubrics to your assessment library. Adding outcomes and rubrics before creating course templates and assignments allows you to add outcomes and rubrics as needed while creating course templates. If multiple instructors will be teaching the same course, it is recommended you utilize course templates to help ensure a consistent learning experience.

Some steps have been abridged, however, each step includes a link to the full instructions.

Process Overview and Order

The process for creating and linking a course and assignment between Portfolium Course Assessment and Canvas LMS is listed below. If you have already completed some of the steps, such as creating a course template, you can skip ahead to the step which corresponds with your location in the process. The steps must be completed in the following order:

1. Create Course Template
  2. Create Assignments in Course Template
  3. Add Assignments to Pathway (if applicable)
  4. Claim Course Template
  5. Create and Link Assignment in Canvas LMS

Step 1: Create Course Template

Full Instructions: How do I add course templates to the assessment library?

emily_allen_0-1637707384867.png

In the Assessment Library, click the Course Templates link [1] and then click the Add New Course Template button [2].

emily_allen_1-1637707384770.png

Enter details for the course template [1] and click the Add Course Template button [2].

Step 2: Add Assignments to Course Template

Full Instructions: How do I add assignments to a course template in the assessment library?

emily_allen_2-1637707436603.png

Verify you are in a course template [1], and click the Add New Assignment button [2].

Step 3: Add Assignments to Pathway (if applicable)

Full Instructions: How do I add an existing assignment as a requirement to a milestone?

emily_allen_3-1637707469770.png

If you are using the assignment as a pathway requirement, open the pathway and milestone, and select the Existing Assignment option.

Step 4: Claim Course Template

Full Instructions: How do I claim a course?

emily_allen_4-1637707489916.png

In the Assessment Library, click the Course Templates link [1]. Click the checkbox next to the desired course [2], and then click the Claim Course button [3].

emily_allen_5-1637707489925.png

Enter details for the course [1]. Make sure Single Assessor is selected for the review strategy, and then click the Claim Course button [2].

Step 5: Create and Link Assignment in Canvas LMS

Full Instructions: How do I create a Portfolium Course Assessment LTI assignment in Canvas as an instructor?

emily_allen_6-1637707510781.png

Open your Canvas course.

emily_allen_7-1637707510253.png

In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link [1] and then click the Add Assignment button [2].

emily_allen_8-1637707510272.png

In the Submission Type drop-down menu [1], select the External Tool option. Click the Find button [2] and select the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Grade Exchange option. When you have finalized the assignment details, click the Save & Publish button [3].

emily_allen_9-1637707510376.png

In the Portfolium Connect window, locate the assignment and click the Link button.

Note: If you set the external tool to open in a new window, you may have to click the Load [Assignment Name] in a new window button in Canvas.