cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

A Speed Grader on iPad Pro problem

Jump to solution

I beg your pardon if I am asking a silly question. However, I am new to Canvas and did not find an answer when searching the web and these communities. In short: It is the problem described here:

Canvas Teacher: Option to Hide Grading Tabs | Canvas LMS Community 

If I understand correctly, this problem should have been solved. However, I loaded yesterday the Canvas Teacher app on an iPad Pro 12.9" and I see exactly the problem described. This does not happen on my Android device. What am I doning wrong?

Best regards,

Michael Hanke

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thanks for the additional info, hanke@kth.se‌. 

You can report the issue directly to your school's tech support and they can put in a ticket. Some schools do give direct access to put in a Canvas ticket, but I'm not sure which school you are from. If you have any issues figuring this out, please let me know and include your school. Thanks. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hanke@kth.se‌,

Good question. I don't have a 12.9" iPad to test, but my 11" Pro doesn't hides the grades tab in landscape, but it does allow me to minimize it in portrait (which was the issue in the original idea you references, portrait only). 

322287_pastedImage_1.gif

What are you seeing on your iPad, please share any screenshots. Thanks!

Highlighted

Dear Ryan,

The screen looks alike independent of the orientation (portrait or landscape).
I include a screenshot in portrait mode. I would like to have the document
viewer filling the whole screen making it possible to see one A4-page in
almost original size. This is really important.

Best,
Michael

322310_Screenshot.png

Highlighted
Community Member

Dear Ryan,

Is there any progress in this problem?

Best regards,

Michael

Highlighted

Hi hanke@kth.se‌,

Sorry for the delay. I can't seem to replicate that issue and haven't heard of anyone else seeing SpeedGrader put the grade tab on the right side while in portrait on the iPad. I'm not sure if it's specific to your device or the file being submitted. Does this happen with all assignments or just this one? 

I would highly suggest you uninstall and reinstall the app and try again. If this doesn't work, I would suggest you contact your local tech support or Canvas support to put in a ticket. They will be able to investigate your specific instance of Canvas to dig deeper. Thanks. 

Highlighted

Dear Ryan,

This problem appears for all homework submissions. We have recently installed the canvas app on a number of brandnew iPads with the same result. So my guess is that it is connected with the iPad version: 3rd generation 12.9" iPad Pro, OS version 12.4.1. I will file a bug. How is this done?

Thanks,

Michael

Highlighted

Thanks for the additional info, hanke@kth.se‌. 

You can report the issue directly to your school's tech support and they can put in a ticket. Some schools do give direct access to put in a Canvas ticket, but I'm not sure which school you are from. If you have any issues figuring this out, please let me know and include your school. Thanks. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi,

If anyone wanders into this conversation trying to solve the same problem, as of 7-1-20 it is NOT corrected. Michael Hanke discovered that the issue has to do with the app adjusting options based on screen size. You can read more about this Canvas Teacher: Option to Hide Grades / Comment... | Canvas LMS Community 

I have a new 12.9” iPad Pro, received yesterday, and can confirm that the grade/comment box does not minimize no matter which way the device is turned! This means that if you buy a larger iPad to have a more room to grade, that 1/3 of that space will be taken up by a mostly empty box on the right side of the screen.

Hopefully this is an easy fix and a sympathetic Dev will take care of it in the next release. They are great about supporting the iPad and the pen works amazingly. The Canvas app is so close to being a perfect paper grading tool...so...close....

Nate