cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejasso2
Surveyor

Annotation tool for file-upload Quiz questions

This is for an upload question inside a Canvas quiz

Please don't respond with the generic " how to submit/view annotation feedback from an assignment". That is a different topic, and no-issues there.

Here, I am specifically asking about a question in a Canvas quiz, that has a file-upload response from students.

As instructors we can open our canvas app, say in our ipad, and the app allows us to use the annotation tools to edit the file.

But it seems like nobody else can see the annotations we made. So, what is the point?

When students go to their graded quiz there is no " view feedback" for students to click ( this does exist in an assignment, but not in quizzes).

If they click in the pdf file, they see the same one they uploaded, without the annotations.

Is there any way students can see the annotations we made in the canvas app in the ipad?

2 Replies
KOliveras
Learner

I have this question as well.  I recently noticed that I could open a pdf submission to a file upload question in the iOS Teacher app.  I could also annotate it using the same "speedgrader like" annotation tools (but a little nicer as you can move the toolbar and change the background color of the area where you are writing).  It seems like these are only saved locally and not published to the server.  My "work around" is to save the pdf locally, and then re-upload it as a comment.  Is there any way to automatically publish these annotations directly as a comment?

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

This technically isn't supposed to be possible! (Good observation skills!!) I was able to replicate this experience and confirm that, currently, with the Canvas Teacher app, a grader can comment on an uploaded file using the annotation tools. However, it appears that those annotations are staying only on the grader's device. I believe that this is a "bug" as this capability isn't available through a web browser yet. Therefore, there isn't a way for students to see the comments.

There are two different ideas/resources available to keep this conversation going:

Open Quiz file submissions in Annotation tool, lik... - Canvas Community 

New Quizzes: Allow File Upload Question Submission... - Canvas Community 

🌟 The Canvas Mobile Team is curious -- Which version of the Canvas Teacher app are you currently using?