cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbrezicha
Community Member

Can I draft my grading responses in Speed Grader and post them later?

Jump to solution

Hello, I am grading my students' discussions and would like to wait to submit my grades till after the deadline of the assignment as to earn full credit they need respond to their peers. However, I have read and drafted a response to their initial post as well as their responses to their classmates. So now my question is do I need to save that as a separate word file or can I draft it in Speed grader and save it till the assignment's deadline passes at midnight tonight?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@kbrezicha ​​, you won't be able to post direct replies in the discussion itself without your students seeing them. However, you might be able to take advantage of SpeedGrader functionality by using the muting feature. When you mute the grade for an assignment, you can work on grading completely behind the scenes, as it were. You can grade all of the submissions in SpeedGrader and add your replies and comments to the Add a Comment field at the bottom right, but your students will not see your comments or their grades until you "unmute" the assignment, which you can do after the due date passes and the discussion is locked for further participation, if that's how you have set it up. You'll find more information about how the mute feature works in How do I mute an assignment in the Gradebook?​ and How do I mute or unmute an Assignment in SpeedGrader?​  Keep in mind that only the student whose discussion posts you've graded in this fashion will see the comments you put in the Add a Comment field; other students will not be able to see those comments.

So, if you're wanting to post a direct reply to students' initial and subsequent posts, you will have to save those replies elsewhere and post them directly to the discussion after the due date passes. But if you're comfortable with having those replies posted to the students as comments or as assessments of their discussion contributions, you can use the mute feature to do that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@kbrezicha ​​, you won't be able to post direct replies in the discussion itself without your students seeing them. However, you might be able to take advantage of SpeedGrader functionality by using the muting feature. When you mute the grade for an assignment, you can work on grading completely behind the scenes, as it were. You can grade all of the submissions in SpeedGrader and add your replies and comments to the Add a Comment field at the bottom right, but your students will not see your comments or their grades until you "unmute" the assignment, which you can do after the due date passes and the discussion is locked for further participation, if that's how you have set it up. You'll find more information about how the mute feature works in How do I mute an assignment in the Gradebook?​ and How do I mute or unmute an Assignment in SpeedGrader?​  Keep in mind that only the student whose discussion posts you've graded in this fashion will see the comments you put in the Add a Comment field; other students will not be able to see those comments.

So, if you're wanting to post a direct reply to students' initial and subsequent posts, you will have to save those replies elsewhere and post them directly to the discussion after the due date passes. But if you're comfortable with having those replies posted to the students as comments or as assessments of their discussion contributions, you can use the mute feature to do that.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Also,  @kbrezicha , it just occurred to me that while an assignment's grade is muted, you can delete any comments you've posted in SpeedGrader. So, if you'd like to draft the replies in the SpeedGrader using the Add a Comment field, you can first make sure the assignment is muted and then, after the due date passes, copy and paste those replies into the discussion itself; finally, delete them from the Add a Comment field. As long as you remember to delete those "draft" comments before you "unmute" the assignment, students will not receive them as submission comments.

This is so helpful Stefanie! So I am just going to mute the assignments and then once the deadline is passed I will double check that they responded to comments and then I finish the grading! Thanks so much!

@kbrezicha ​, I'm delighted to know that this will work for you! As a teacher of writing-intensive courses with assignments that require a considerable amount of time to grade, I love "muting." Smiley Happy  It helps me get ahead of my grading workload.

Yes exactly what I am trying to do! So great! Many thanks! Smiley Happy