cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nclemence59
Community Member

Canvas Studio lost my recording?

Jump to solution

When I recorded something on Canvas Studio and pressed "Save", I got an error window that said "Sorry, looks like we broke something:("  My 27 minute recording was just gone, vanished.  Has this happened to anyone else?  

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris, I did use the Webcam capture, with Audio only. I did reach out to

the Canvas Help Desk. They looked into it and said they were sorry but

they could not recover my recording. They also said that they have had

some people report this problem before and they don't recommend using

Canvas for recordings longer than 5 minutes.

View solution in original post

michelle_powell
Surveyor II

I have found a work around accidentally. These videos are saved to your local computer first before they are uploaded to Canvas Studio. Any videos that you have "lost" are still there.  You have to be on the computer that you recorded them on for this to work.

• You have to go to Studio.
  • Click RECORD
  • Click SCREEN CAPTURE
  • Click RECORD and record a few seconds of video
  • Click PAUSE
  • Click DONE
  • at this screen you will see BACK TO RECORDINGS at the top left corner of this window. Click there.
  • Voilà, you have found every file you "lost". You are able to click on the video and upload it from here.

Your welcome!!! Smiley Happy

11 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @nclemence59  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I am sorry to read that your Studio recording disappeared.  That's never fun.  We also have Studio, and I've never heard of an issue like this before.  Could you please tell us...when you pressed on the "Record" icon at the top of the main Studio dashboard screen (next to "Add" and "Search"), which option did you choose?  "Screen Capture" or "Webcam Capture"?  Also, have you tried reaching out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they would be able to help recover the recording for you?  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

If you could please fill in some of those details, that would be helpful.  Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Nancy!

Chris, I did use the Webcam capture, with Audio only. I did reach out to

the Canvas Help Desk. They looked into it and said they were sorry but

they could not recover my recording. They also said that they have had

some people report this problem before and they don't recommend using

Canvas for recordings longer than 5 minutes.

sharked
Community Member

I just had a 16+ minute video recorded with webcam come up with only a green screen for the visual after uploading.  Audio is there, but no visual.  Very disappointed to have to record this again.  I can't find any reference material on Canvas nor in Q&A to tell me why this happened.  Can only guess it was because the video was longer than the "5 minutes" recommended by Studio/Canvas.  Some processes take LONGER than 5 minutes to explain. 

shaun_wilson
Community Member

I've hit 'upload' for a 48 minute tutorial with Canvas Studio video and its uploaded a 1 second version and lost the rest of my video. This is unacceptable. Where is it? Please advise. I have students waiting to see this.

dramage
Community Member

I recorded three minutes of audio into a discussion post. I could see the file within my post after I saved. A half hour later, I refreshed the page, and my recording had vanished. 

I am recommending to my students that they record audio separately and upload. 

This is frustrating, though. I just taught the students how to use the media recorder, but for this particular assignment,  with longer recordings, I'm afraid their audio will disappear, too. I hope the issue can be resolved.

michelle_powell
Surveyor II

I have found a work around accidentally. These videos are saved to your local computer first before they are uploaded to Canvas Studio. Any videos that you have "lost" are still there.  You have to be on the computer that you recorded them on for this to work.

• You have to go to Studio.
  • Click RECORD
  • Click SCREEN CAPTURE
  • Click RECORD and record a few seconds of video
  • Click PAUSE
  • Click DONE
  • at this screen you will see BACK TO RECORDINGS at the top left corner of this window. Click there.
  • Voilà, you have found every file you "lost". You are able to click on the video and upload it from here.

Your welcome!!! Smiley Happy

Thanks, but it didn't work.

At the end of the recording session, be sure to click save to this computer! 🙂

I have found that this solution only works on Screen Capture videos.