cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnoack
Navigator

Creating all courses from a template?

Hi all,

I've been looking for directions in how to create all courses from a template.  Is this possible?  I've read a few posts that discuss it, but I can't find any directions. 

Here is what I'd like to do.  Set up a course with a few links and resources specific to our college.  Create all courses for the semester from it.  Then faculty can import their course content. 

This is how we have done things in Moodle, is it possible in Canvas?  What's the alternative?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Greg

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@gnoack , I've seen a number of ways suggested to accomplish this. From what you've described, I think that perhaps "Hammer of the Gods," using the API (and Postman) to populate multiple courses with content, would work best for your use case. Please refer to

I've also shared your question with the Canvas Admins​ group to see if they might have a different suggestion.

I hope that you will investigate this and let us know if it might ultimately work for you. I'd also be curious to hear feedback from other Community members about the suggested workflow, namely populating courses with some content and then having faculty members import content over that, especially with respect to concerns about inadvertently overwriting something.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@gnoack ​, I did a bit more digging, and came across this discussion in the Canvas Developers​ group (if you're not already a member of that group, please click to join): Pushing a Module Template Out to All Courses each Quarter 

Your question is likely to prompt a number of other suggestions, and since it's likely that no single one will stand out as uniquely "correct," I've changed the format of your post to a discussion.