cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cholling
Adventurer III

Discussion Participation

Jump to solution

A faculty wants to be able to validate why she is giving or deducting points for participation, when the individual students' posts are always good and receive high marks from her. She has located the following diagram and we are wondering where this comes from / what is Canvas assessing in order to make this comparison? How is it defining "Participation"?

Star Activity Comparison

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi cholling‌ - That screen capture comes from the Student Context Card, as described here: How do I view a context card for a student in a course?   It does not have to do, specifically, with Discussion participation alone, but rather general student participation in the course as measured in the course analytics.  I remember quite vividly that when the context card was introduced, there was considerable debate about it, as seen here:  Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16) and in fact, it was pulled from the Production Release Notes that followed altogether (Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28)  though it was obviously introduced later on.  (Long story short: mobile device is not always accurately captured in those statistics, so one should not completely rely on those factors.)

Your faculty may also be interested in this:  How to Count Student Discussion Posts  as well as this: Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course , though I realize this is not directly addressing the immediate concern.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi cholling‌ - That screen capture comes from the Student Context Card, as described here: How do I view a context card for a student in a course?   It does not have to do, specifically, with Discussion participation alone, but rather general student participation in the course as measured in the course analytics.  I remember quite vividly that when the context card was introduced, there was considerable debate about it, as seen here:  Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16) and in fact, it was pulled from the Production Release Notes that followed altogether (Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28)  though it was obviously introduced later on.  (Long story short: mobile device is not always accurately captured in those statistics, so one should not completely rely on those factors.)

Your faculty may also be interested in this:  How to Count Student Discussion Posts  as well as this: Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course , though I realize this is not directly addressing the immediate concern.

View solution in original post

Thanks, Ken!

kblack
Community Member

Glad I could help, Cynthia!