cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katina_zerefos
Community Member

Does anyone use furigana in their Japanese course?

To avoid using romaji in our course aimed at Year 9, I was hoping to find a way to put hiragana above the katakana. This is easily done in Word but can it be done in Canvas?

8 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Katie,

Although it isn't a direct answer to your question, I'll mention for others who might be reading, that Japanese is included in the list of languages supported for the user interface.  Furigana involves adding phonetic characters as help text next to the more complicated kanji or pictographs.  There isn't a function specifically built into Canvas to accomplish this but I have seen people use unicode characters mapped to hiragana in Canvas courses.  I'm not aware of any encoding standards for mapping to kanji so my advice would be to use images for the kanji and then a character set for the phonetic characters.  Canvas stores and presents all data in the system as UTF-8, which is a character encoding that supports all character panes and languages in the world. Canvas thus allows users to type foreign characters directly for proper rendering by the web browser.  Although there are not currently foreign language character panels available in the rich content editor, you should be able to simply copy and paste from your favorite editor or word processor.

Ganbatte kudasai!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@katina_zerefos ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

No there is no way of adding it without a lot of code which my school is loathe to adopt.

Hi Katie,

Just by way of follow up I did do a little experimenting.

This is what a module looks like with UTF-8 coded furigana in the titles:

Canvas Module with Japanese Furigana Characters in titles

I tried to add furigana over kana and failed to get the RCE to accept it.

<p><ruby>他<rt>た</rt></ruby><span>の</span><ruby>子供<rt>こども</rt></ruby><span>たちと</span><ruby>話<rt>はな</rt></ruby><span>す!</span></p> got cleaned up to remove the ruby tags.  

Image file wise it looks like so:

298814_Screenshot 2018-11-28 13.57.08.png

jessica_bryan
Surveyor

I need a way to add these characters as text and not an image. An image will not be ada compliant for screen readers. 

Hi Jessica,

Simply out of curiosity; do you know of a screen reader that will read non-phonetic characters?

Thanks,

Scott

Great question. I simply assumed they did. I will check with our ADA office.

jessica_bryan
Surveyor

It would be great to have canvas recognize ruby tags.