I have a question regarding to downloading an ipython Jupyter Notebook file from Canvas.
I am using Canvas to download a Jupyter Notebook file (*.ipynb) from canvas, but the file downloaded was added a txt extension (which reveals the json content of the file). I wonder whether this is a bug of Canvas while resolving the request.
The setup of the system is:
macOS Mojave 10.14 / 10.14/1 (I tried on two devices)
Safari 12.0.1 using its default downloader (using Chrome downloads the file fine)
When using jupyter notebook to create a notebook, it is saved as *.ipynb. The file is ultimately a json. When using the setup to download such an ipynb file from Canvas, it is saved as *.ipynb.txt, and I have to manually remove the .txt extension to view the file.
I think this is a problem either of Canvas, or Safari's integration with Canvas. I have tried downloading the instructor's file, creating an ipynb and uploading and downloading it myself, even at another institution's canvas. Thus I think posting a question here might help.
The attachment is
1. sample.ipynb, a notebook I created to test
2. sample.ipynb.txt, the file I downloaded from canvas after I uploaded sample.ipynb.
I can replicate both the .py.html and the .ipynb.txt issue...to an extent. Sometimes it will work perfectly fine in safari. I can take the same file which downloads fine as .ipynb, upload it to a different course, add it to a module and keep it in the same publishing state (in this case unpublished), and it will download as .ipynb.txt
I'll open a canvas case and if any of you have opened a case I would appreciate knowing what they have to say.
The problem lies, at least on my Mac running Mojave, in that Finder sets the default application to TextEdit. You can see this if you CTRL-click > Get Info on the .ipynb file. I've just been renaming the file in Jupyter Notebook, but it is annoying. Normally I'd just change the Default Application, but since Jupyter Notebook runs online or through Anaconda-Navigator there's isn't an installed app to set as default.
I was able to have one of my TAs who has a Mac running Mojave sit down and work through some test cases with me, and when he uses Chrome instead of Safari the problem is resolved (for both the .txt and the .html added extensions).
I wanted to jump back in as I saw that a few of you had begun seeing this again. When it happened originally it was not replicable across the board which made it difficult to chase down. I would suggest for those of you who are facing the issue, drop a line to Canvas Support (you can do this via the Help --> Report a Problem menu). Canvas support has access to information about your institution's Canvas instance that we are unable to see, and should be able to have a deeper look into the problem (while also looking at logs on the server-side).
I also want to call out Franklin's contribution! I suggest having a look to see if this is causing the same issue for you and may help alleviate the issue. As I am unable to replicate, I would love to hear from someone else that tries this to see if it fixes the issue for them. Nice work Franklin!
The problem lies, at least on my Mac running Mojave, in that Finder sets the default application to TextEdit. You can see this if you CTRL-click > Get Info on the .ipynb file. I've just been renaming the file in Jupyter Notebook, but it is annoying. Normally I'd just change the Default Application, but since