Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

File extension missing

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have an instructor telling me that he cannot open his powerpoint on the podium computer. He thought it was the computer but I went into his course and it turned out some of the files are missine the extension (for example ".ppt", ".pptx", etc). When I click the file to download with Chrome, the file is downloaded without the extension and my computer (Windows) or laptop (Mac) don't know what to do with it. However when downloading with Firefox it promps me to open the file with powerpoint. So this could be a temporary solution

Has anyone had similar problem before? I find it bizarre that only some of the files are missing the extension.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I've tried to recreate this loading numerous file types, renaming, removing/adding file extensions, using different browsers, using different OS', etc. Every attempt produces a result exactly as expected. It's only when I remove the file extensions in Canvas or load a file to Canvas without the extension that I'm able to recreate it.

If the instructor didn't accidentally remove the extension, I can only guess that: (1) the files were imported from another shell where they already didn't have the extensions; (2) the files were uploaded without the extensions, which seems unlikely if they demonstrated loading them; (3) someone else with access to manage course files renamed the files to remove the extensions.

I wish I could offer something better or more concrete, but I'm simply unable to reproduce it in a manner inconsistent with expected functionality. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Wow, xxie34@wisc.edu - this is a bizarre one. Have you contacted Canvas support by chance to see if there is something wrong within those specific files? Or have you by chance attempted to download PowerPoint files, using Chrome, on that same podium machine? This is one that I just haven't heard of before and haven't been able to replicate yet, but in the meantime I'm going to share with https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=5548ddf2-f0c4-43b2-835f-da497438715...‌ to see if someone else has had this issue before!

Highlighted

xxie34@wisc.edu =

I did a little more testing on this. And although I still haven't run into the issue, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be browser based. When you go to save the file, do you have the following options:

267492_pastedImage_2.png

My browser defaulted to a Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation, but it's possible the Chrome at your podium is asking for "All Files" instead? Another way to try and trick the system is to manually add the .pptx or .ppt extension when you're saving and see what happens.

Just trying to think things through here! Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters any more than they are!

Highlighted

It is browser based. When I download these files that don't have .ppt with Chrome, it automatically downloads without asking me how to save them and I cannot open them unless I put .ppt on the file name. However when I download them with Firefox, Firefox asks me if I want to use Powerpoint to open the files. 

That's ok cuz I can tell the instructor to use Firefox. What bothers me is what happened to the ".ppt" or ".pdf" parts of the files. The instructor showed me exactly how he uploaded the files and the files that he uploaded in front of me had ".ppt". 

Highlighted

Do you have permissions in the browser to change the settings? Or does your institution have it locked down?

If so, enter settings, find "downloads", and enable "Ask where to save each file before downloading". It's possible it was a browser change/upgrade within your institution that has caused this hiccup. Either way, it's unfortunate and I'm sorry you and your faculty are having to work through this.

Highlighted

Hello xxie34@wisc.edu‌,

Likely what happened is that the documents were uploaded without the file extension.  Firefox looks at the mime type and makes a best guess as to which application to open with where Chrome does not.

Do you know the origin of the files?  I believe that for a long time Macs did not add a file extension, and it may still not by default when saving a file.  This can cause issues moving files between Mac and PC either directly or through another platform (e.g. Canvas).

Highlighted

Hi Danny,

As I said in my reply above,

"The instructor showed me exactly how he uploaded the files and the files that he uploaded in front of me had ".ppt". "

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Did the instructor, at one point, rename the files after they had been loaded to Canvas? The only way I can see this issue happening is if that were the case. Unlike Windows, which warns that the file type is being changed, Canvas will change it without concern, assuming the user knows exactly what they are doing. There's no protection built in to prevent the removing of the file extension.

If the files came from another shell, you could check that other shell to see if it was the same way.

Highlighted

nope. the instructor was very certain he didn't do anything like that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've tried to recreate this loading numerous file types, renaming, removing/adding file extensions, using different browsers, using different OS', etc. Every attempt produces a result exactly as expected. It's only when I remove the file extensions in Canvas or load a file to Canvas without the extension that I'm able to recreate it.

If the instructor didn't accidentally remove the extension, I can only guess that: (1) the files were imported from another shell where they already didn't have the extensions; (2) the files were uploaded without the extensions, which seems unlikely if they demonstrated loading them; (3) someone else with access to manage course files renamed the files to remove the extensions.

I wish I could offer something better or more concrete, but I'm simply unable to reproduce it in a manner inconsistent with expected functionality. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels