cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bettyreichard
Community Member

How do I group grades?

I am co-teaching the lab section of a course with another instructor who is teaching the lecture portion.  We are sharing the same dashboard. In the grade book, lab and lecture scores are interspersed. The students need to see their lab scores and their lecture scores totaled separately.   Is there a way to group the grades from lab and lecture separately in the same grade book?

Thanks

2 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @bettyreichard  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where Canvas users exchange ideas and pose questions.  You should be able to arrange columns by assignment group (more on that further down), as shown on this document:  How do I sort columns in the Gradebook?  I might also suggest that you read over this page for a good overview of the gradebook:  How do I use the Gradebook?  Although the first document has a screen capture showing that one can arrange by assignment group, I have to admit that at the moment I cannot find that option in a few gradebooks that I've looked at, all of which have courses with assignment groups.  (I may need to be reporting that to Canvas!)

Anyway, this assumes that you have assignment groups.  Therefore, the first step is to head to the Assignments page and arrange the assignments into assignment groups.  Check here: How do I add an assignment group in a course?   especially if you do not have assignment groups on the Assignments page to begin with.   Once you do that, it's a matter of moving the various assignments into their proper groups, as covered here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13342-4152807365 

After doing that, according to the documentation you should now have the ability to arrange the columns by assignment group.  If you do NOT (and, as I said, for whatever reason I have to admit I'm not seeing it myself!), at the very least the Gradebook will automatically generate columns just before the Total column that will show you the student's percentage scores for each individual assignment group.  So, for example, you will at least see that student John Doe is getting 93% in Lectures and 85% in Labs.

I hope this helps a bit, Betty-Anne!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bettyreichard ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie