cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcarosella
Community Member

How do the Outcome Mastery Level rubrics relate to the actual scores/point values of questions?

I understand the logistic principles behind aligning outcomes to question banks and how the learning mastery calculation options function. However, what I don't understand is how the mastery scores are calculated based off the actual performance of students.

For example, say I've aligned Outcome X to Bank A. I have Question 1 (8 points) and Question 2 (10 points) in Bank A. Say my mastery rubric for Outcome X is modeled after the support documentation examples - with an upper bound of 5 (Exceeds Expectations), mid-range of 3 (Meets Expectations), and a lower bound of 0 points (Does Not Meet Expectations). In the Outcome, I say mastery is set to 3.

Now, if I assign Outcome X to Bank A and set the "Mastery Level" at "60%" - how will this play out? Will Canvas essentially break down the point values of each question, such that if a student scores 4/8 points (50%) on Q1 and 6/10 points (60%) on Q2, they will be granted mastery scores of 0 and 3, respectively?

And as a follow up, how does a student earn a mastery score of 5 - only by getting full marks on questions or are there cutoff points? For example, would a 8/10 (80%) score on Q2 round up to 5 mastery points or down to 3 mastery points?

Thank you!

3 Replies
janieruddy
Instructure
Instructure

While it would seem that this answer should be straight forward, it is actually dependent on your school.  When the outcomes are setup by your Canvas Admin, they decide on several methods to determine how the score is reported in the Learning Mastery Gradebook.  What calculation methods are available for outcomes? Not all methods are straight forward averages.  There is a decaying average, n number of times, and highest score to choose from.  The attached help guide will detail the computation of each.  If a student's outcome score ends up to be a decimal, the score levels are calculated based on half of the outcome mastery threshold. For example, if the mastery threshold is 3 points, half of 3 is 1.5. Scores between 1.6 and 2.9 are counted near mastery, while scores less than 1.5 are considered remedial.  Therefore, a student score of 2/3 would be above 1.5 and count as near mastery. 

As far as the the calculation of the student interaction to be fed to an outcome and then converted to a score,  Canvas will take the number of questions you pull into a quiz and then based upon the number of questions marked correct determine if mastery is demonstrated.  For example: question bank has 10 questions, you only use 5 for the assessment, you have marked your outcomes at a 1 point mastery 0 point not mastered and a 60% to determine mastery in the question bank. If Student gets 3/5 correct in question bank, .6/1 will report to the learning mastery gradebook with a light green meets mastery.  Based upon how you set up the original outcome (away from the Question Bank) highest score, most recent score, decaying average or n number of times will also affect the LMGB and what shows up there.  Here is a link to a blog thread that discussed this same issue Aligned Question Banks to Learning Mastery Gradebook

I hope I have touched on all of your questions.  Let me know if this was not clear and we can take another whack at it Smiley Happy

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

janiesolinski-ruddy‌ posted a wonderfully comprehensive response,  @wcarosella ! Do you have follow-up questions for Janie or for the Community at large about this?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @wcarosella ‌...

I thought I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since February 19th.  Have you had a chance to review the above replies from janiesolinski-ruddy‌ and stefaniesanders‌?  If so, did Janie's reply help to answer your question?  If it did, please go ahead and mark her answer as "Correct".  But, as Stefanie has noted, if you still have any outstanding questions related to this topic, please come back here to post an update for the Canvas Community so that we can continue to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, William!